029. 'the dirt shines brightest on the loneliest of roads'

.༻⊰❂⊱༺.

༻⊰❂⊱༺

XXIX. THE DAY WE GET SWALLOWED BY THE DIRT

━━━━━━

"Head's stuck in the clouds, 

trying to reach the surface"

         "EVERYTHING'S FINE."

Everything was definitely not fine. It hadn't been even a hundred-feet before they had gotten hopelessly lost.

Everything was different; the tunnels looked nothing like the ones that Dodie and Percy had stumbled upon a few days back. Now, instead of the vast room they remembered, it was round, like a sewer that was constructed of red bricks with iron-barred portholes every ten-feet. Dodie thought if she wasn't going crazy before this, she was going to go insane now.

"Dodie, can you give us light?" A voice asked her; it was Annabeth.

Dodie let out an exasperated sigh. "Me? Don't we have torches for that?" she grumbled. Though she couldn't see anyone around her, she could practically feel the incredulous expression on Annabeth's face. "Ugh, fine," she relented, scrunching her nose. Dodie let a golden glow emit from her body, casting light into the darkness. "But I'll warn you, I'm like a plant. I can only do this so often as long as I can do photosynthesis. It's not like I have a limitless energy source, you know?"

"I know, we just need this temporary so we won't waste batteries. We don't know how long we'll be here," said Annabeth apologetically to Dodie.

"I figured so," Dodie breathed.

"Nothing..." Percy peered out of one of the portholes, his curiosity piqued. Despite Dodie's glowing light, he couldn't see anything beyond the window. It opened up into infinite darkness. He thought he heard voices on the other side, but the cold wind made it hard to be sure.

Annabeth tried her best to guide them. She had this idea that they should stick to the left wall.

"If we keep one hand on the left wall and follow it," she said, "we should be able to find our way out again by reversing course."

Unfortunately, as soon as she said that, the left wall disappeared, and they soon found themselves in the middle of a circular chamber with eight tunnels leading out, and with no idea how they'd gotten there.

"Um, which way did we come in?" Grover said nervously.

"Just turn around," Annabeth said.

Dodie followed Annabeth's advice, and the group turned around, but each one ended up facing a different tunnel. It was almost ridiculous in a comical kind of sense, yet the reality was that none of them could decide which path led back to camp.