Chapter 56 - Stratagems Part 1

Lord Zhang was grateful for the meal's end. It meant he could finally escape the awkward meal without being rude. He was also tired of keeping up his crestfallen act when in reality he was seething! He was furious at the public humiliation and the lack of support from his allies, although in reality, he could not really blame the lords and ladies. Still!! No one tried to dissuade Shuang from her unexpected choice or stand up for him. No one dared to publicly back a new 'untried' Head against the powerful Ruling Lord with military backing. Needles to say, Xi Xuan took note of the telling looks and sympathetic glances. Each nuance indicative of the changing political tides. He would get reports later confirming his suspicions of those who remained allies and those who did not.

Another reason to retire as soon as possible was Lady Shuang's outrageously inappropriate behavior throughout the meal.

Despite her loud declaration of undying love to Lord Yuan, she spent an inordinate amount of the entire feast trying to get his attention while blatantly ignoring her new fiancé sitting by her side.

Lady Shuang started by glancing at him frequently. That followed by coy smiles and touches of her perfectly coiffed hair, ear and chin. She also kept smoothing down various parts of her dress and striking poses when she thought he was looking. She was beautiful and knew how to position herself to her advantage.

As dinner progressed, Lady Shuang became bolder. She would say something to her personal maid, LiQuin (his agents reported) then peek at him through lowered lashes. She also whispered conspiratorially to her bodyguards whilst studying him covertly behind a cup or embroidered handkerchief. Xi Xuan noted that Ghost gave short answers whilst the other one, Key was more elaborate in his replies. Both kept their faces professionally expressionless.

Lord Yuan too was enjoying himself immensely. His attention was solely on the non-stop well-wishes and congratulatory toasts. Confident he had won the lady by his side, he ignored her to drink and bask in victorious glory. He was the man of the hour. The beauty of Zinnu was his! He had won over the supposedly better Lord Zhang.

Unaccustomed to alcoholic beverage, Shuang too became more daring. False courage fueled by intoxication, she dared to try engaging him in conversation. The clueless maiden thanked him sweetly for the wonderful meal while toying with her night pearl necklace. It was part of his personal bride gift to her. The irony was not lost on him. She then followed up by asking about several dishes and which was his preference if any, all of which he answered vaguely.

Xi Xiu had the sense to avoid eye contact with her 'enemy' and 'hid shyly' behind her brother.

"If I have to talk to her, we'll probably end up on the floor in a cat fight. I'll not tolerate anyone who hurts you, Gege."

"Even when me not getting married to the Ruling House and losing the prestige it brings?" he asked.

"Even then!" she exclaimed. "It was the way she humiliated and insulted you."

"It was not me she insulted," replied Xi Xuan tilting his head discreetly in Master Kai's direction.

"It's the same thing! She insulted who she thought was you!" Xi Xiu scowled. "She also belittled our whole House!"

"She did," he acknowledged with a sigh. "House Zhai will not get away with it. I'll make sure our House will keep it's position and power. House Yuan's hopes on advancing through this marriage will remain only that, hopes and dreams."

As soon as the riveting sword dance concluded, Xi Xuan stood up. The panting dancers had scarcely righted themselves from their artistic ending poses when he turned to face Lord and Lady Zhai to excuse himself. It was the earliest he could do so without seeming impolite. He bowed first to the Ruling couple, then to the drunk Lord Yuan and intoxicated Lady Shuang. He congratulated the happy couple, wishing them prosperity, long life, a happy marriage and many children. Then Lord Zhang and his entourage left the banquet hall.