Chapter 21 - Ambush

"Ambush!" yelled the Vice-Captain. "Formation! Shields!!"

"Protect the Lady!!"

Immediately the Elites closed ranks surrounding Shuang's carriage.

Arrows thudded into hastily raised shields and onto the roof of the carriage. The women inside screamed in terror.

"Stay down and away from the sides!" Ghost shouted rapping the windows before drawing his weapons.

"Shields? What shields?" yelped Key as he swung his sword expertly to deflect the oncoming arrows. Scores of arrows were flung to the ground harmless. "How come we don't have any shields?"

Ghost did not bother to reply Key. He had his long double blades out and was busy blocking the attack on his side.

After three waves, one Elite was dead and another two were wounded. The ambush had done its work. Xin rallied his forces when a loud rebel yell rang out.

"Attack!!"

A group of about twenty rebels rose from the tall dead grass with assorted weapons. Only five or six had mounts, the rest were on foot. They lined the road ahead. Several were restringing their bows. Those that they had passed were running to rejoin their friends.

"Keep moving! Don't stop!" Xin commanded the Elite driving the carriage. "We'll try to outrun them."

The driver gave a curt nod. Deftly, he whipped the reins and barked out a command. The coach sped up.

If Lady Shuang had not been with them, Xin would have ordered a full offence to exterminate the rebels. His Elites were trained for battle and were better equipped but now the Lady's safety was top priority.

Xin noticed that the rebels aimed only for them. They spared the horses. Realization dawned on him. They wanted the prized animals but did not care for the humans. They also wanted whatever or whoever was inside the carriage. It had to be something valuable or someone important. Important enough to kidnap and trade for a profit. One of them had already collected his fallen Elite's mount. He spat in disgust before attacking the nearest rebel.

Shuang's bodyguards were doing their job too. Key was engaged with two men. They were no match for him as he had the advantage. The bodyguard was on a horse and had a better weapon.

"Ghost! Ghost!!"

The Five kept his eyes on his enemies as he answered Key's anxious cry. He knew what was bothering the Three.

"You don't have to kill them! Just wound them a little or maim them so they can't fight!!"

"Why didn't I think of that?" he wondered aloud. After that, his defence became more decisive and deadly. He aimed for multiple body parts, wounding deep enough to abate the threat. Rebels started to fall back.

Ghost slashed and cut efficiently. His double blades made a lot of damage. He was not particular about preserving lives. After all, the rebels had initiated killing by murdering the unsuspecting Elite.

Focusing on the upper body, the Five attacked the head, neck and chest. Strike the jugular, heart or puncture the lungs or any other vital organs. Being ambidextrous was a good thing he had cultivated in his choice of weapons. With his training and skill, bodies soon littered the trail.

The sun glinted off flashing blades as the Elite guards fought back. Grunts and shouts filled the air. Curses mixed in with the clanging of metal against metal and loud neighing of horses.

In the chaos, the carriage slowed down.

Xin was ahead clearing the way. Although the initial rebel forces had diminished, they still outnumbered Shuang's party. More were also surging towards them from hiding to support their brothers. All the Elites were fully engaged. No one was available to check on Shuang. Quickly, Ghost finished off the man in front of him and rode to catch up with the slowing coach.