Chapter 34 - Ice

"Where are you off to again?" asked Key.

"The kitchens."

"Did you find Ice?"

"Not yet but I will."

"O'kay. I'll cover you here."

Ghost reported to the kitchen promptly at five. He took a pole and balanced it on his shoulders whilst servants hung heavy food carriers at each end. When everything was ready, he followed the others to the prison. Two guards followed them.

They reached the far structures after fifteen minutes. By then, their steps were slower and their burden had grown significantly heavier.

"You o'kay?" asked Ding who was in front of him.

"Yeah," Ghost grunted. "Just don't tell Han about this."

Ding snorted in amusement. "Bribe me."

"Not you too! Seriously, all of you are taking advantage of a poor guy like me."

"Hahaha, just kidding Ghost. It's fun to tease you. You're so gullible."

"We're here. Put down your loads for inspection," said Ding.

The guards stood up and came forward as the servants approached. One checked the food and containers whilst the other checked the servants.

"Who is this? I haven't seen you before," asked a guard suspiciously.

"Aaiyaaa, brother Gao, don't be so hard on him," chortled a guard who escorted them. "He's Ghost, Lady Shuang's bodyguard. He is filling in for Han cos he lost a bet."

"Ghost? The Ghost that is with the Key?"

"Yes, you've heard of them?" asked the guard. He talked while several servants started placing the two guards' dinner on their table. A three layer carrier with rice and side dishes. They also placed two flasks with the food. One filled with hot water and the other with hot tea.

"Who hasn't? I've also place a bet on how long they will last with her ladyship." Guard Gao turned to Ghost looking him up and down grinning. "Soooo, you've taken to hiding in the kitchens now?"

"Huh?"

"Words out that you have trouble hiding from Lady Shuang's maids ..."

The other guard and servants burst out laughing. There were many rumours about the two handsome bodyguards circulating since they arrived in the Zhai household but this was one of their favorites.

Ghost groaned pretending embarrassment. "You have no idea ... I swear they are better then Lord Zhai's best trackers."

"Hahaha, good luck as long as you don't seduce my Sweetheart."

"Don't worry, I already have someone in my heart and she is not from here."

"Good, good," He waved them in. "Guard Fu will go in with you. I'll be here. No talking inside."

They went in. Ghost followed silently. Inside were rows of dingy cells, some crowded some not. The front ones were filled leaving the back cells empty. Further in were the special reinforced cells and torture chamber. The atmosphere was grim and depressive.

Guard Fu unlocked each cell one at a time. The two house guards watched with their swords drawn as the servants opened the carriers to place a large bowl of sticky rice balls on the ground near the door. The prisoners were only allowed to venture forward toward the food once the servants had backed out and the door locked again. One rice ball per prisoner. No more. If any took more then their share, they would be dragged out and placed in a different cell where they would be starved for three days. Everyone knew the drill. It was systematic and orderly.