Chapter 38 - Bet

Key trailed Lord Yuan keeping a healthy distance. He was familiar enough with the grounds that he could easily stay hidden in the many nooks and crannies along the path. Lord Yuan did not return immediately to his family's assigned rooms as expected. Instead he jogged jauntily to a secluded pavilion where another two well dressed young nobles were waiting for him. They raised their hands in greeting when they saw their friend.

Food and drinks were laid out. The table was littered with wine bottles and snack plates. Pastry crumbs, roasted groundnut shells and dried melon seeds littered the table. Gambling sticks and little piles of coins completed the messy table. On one side were two whole silver yuanbaos (ingots).

"Shun Xi!! You made it," called out one youth as Lord Yuan approached.

"Of course I did."

"Well? Tell me Shun Xi, did I win or lose to Li Guang?" asked Chu Feng.

The other noble man, Li Guang was already raking in his winnings. He had bet that Lady Shuang would be swayed by the popular playboy and fall in love with Shun Xi. Chu Feng had bet on Zhang.

"I met her ... Lady Shuang. I think I made a good impression," replied Shun Xi thoughtfully.

"Ahhh, you only made an impression on her. That's good," Chu Feng said taking back his silver yuanbao. "It means I've not lost to Li Guang yet. She has not fallen in love with you and will still marry Zhang."

"She likes me and we get along well. Its a start," Lord Yuan said thoughtfully. "I will make her fall in love with me before the wedding ... no, by the engagement feast. It's going to be a piece of cake. She is so starved for affection and is so gullible, she'll be eating out of my hands in no time," boasted Shun Xi.

"Before the Engagement feast? That's in only a few days! Are you sure?"

"No problem," answered the playboy.

"She is only a girl. Do you really think she will break off the engagement and marriage with House Zhang?" asked Chu Feng (for Zhang) "Although House Zhang keeps mostly to themselves, they are not to be trifled with, you know. They are among the top three Houses in Zinnu."

"House Zhai is the Ruling House. Whatever Lord Zhai decides will be happen. Surely House Zhang will have to obey House Zhai, right?" asked Li Guang (for Shun Xi) looking at Shun Xi for confirmation.

"She'll break it off and fall in love with me," Shun Xi replied confidently. "Lord Zhai may be the powerful military leader of the Ruling House, but when it comes to his youngest daughter, he is a softie," snorted Shun Xi. "He'll give in if she insists ... and I will make her do so."

"What about Lord Zhang? Wouldn't he protest?"

"That pushover? He's just inherited the title of Head from his father, he's got no experience and I think no real power. He has not established himself yet. Also, what can he do if his bride is in love with another man? I heard he is an honourable man, surely he wouldn't force her to marry him if she doesn't love him. He's that kind of man," sneered Lord Yuan.

"Ahhh, I see. You are so clever Shun Xi!" applauded Li Guang. "Make her father accept you through his daughter and make Zhang give her up through her feelings for you too!"

Yuan Shun Xi preened at the praise.

"Love conquers all!!" he laughed.

Pouring a cup of wine, he toasted to himself and drank it in one gulp. Being nice to that spoilt brat was thirsty work. She really was beautiful but talked a lot and kept hinting for praise. He would endure her company until she became his wife, thought Shun Xi to himself.