Chapter 55 - Engagement Feast

The kitchens were in controlled chaos.

It had been like that for over a week since the Zhang chefs descended onto the Zhai kitchen. At first it was awkward, but the tensed atmosphere soon melted into friendly rivalry.

The Zhai cooks were curious of the many unique ingredients, spices and cooking utensils brought by the foreign cooks. They couldn't stop staring as their counterparts prepared small snacks and side dishes throughout the week to ascertain the guests' palate and allergies to shellfish if any. On the other hand, the mainlanders were experts on preparing and cooking meat. It was different from what the islanders were used to. But the love of food, cooking and recipes soon brought the two teams together.

Today, the dishes from the sea were the highlight of the banquet.

Finally, the fresh creatures arriving throughout the week could be cooked and served. The fish, prawns, crabs, eels, octopuses and other delicacies had been brought painstakingly in large ice boxes. Some even came still alive in large water tanks.

Ghost wondered at the length Xi Xuan was going to impress his in-laws. He still went to the kitchen everyday to get their meals and the daily gossip. Several times he had even given a helping hand to unload the precious ingredients and condiments in the guise of maintaining his friendships. Besides information, the extra help also secured bonus dessert sweets for the two bodyguards.

The special banquet would be complemented by some 'normal' cuisine. Everyone still needed some familiar foods and proper meat courses. While the islanders prepared their dishes, the Zhai chefs were also hard at work at theirs. The kitchen was filled with the hiss of steam and the loud crackling of hot oils. Grinding and pounding, kneading and tossing. Cutting and slicing, chopping and mincing. All the wonderful sounds of a busy kitchen.

There were cauldrons of hot bubbling soup and giant barrels of steaming rice. A thick simmering broth continuously released delicious vapor into the air to mix with the other mouth-watering aromas. Outside, whole roasts sizzled under the watchful eyes of kitchen hands. Heavenly smells from the smoking pits and open grills filled the place. All were hard at work. Never had the kitchen been so busy or smelled so good!

Both Head Cooks were issuing orders and instructions like mad drill sergeants. Cooks and helpers scrambled at their tasks, mindful of taste, color and presentation of their creations. Patient servants waited for their loaded trays, they would bring in whole pots and platters in full glory for display. Only after each viewing would the servants in the hall serve the guests.

This was going to be a historic meal, not counting the wedding banquet next week. That would be even more glorious!

This was the kitchen's time to shine!

In the great hall, excitement begun to build for the coming meal. Throughout the week the esteemed guests had little tastes of what was to come. House Zhang wanted to ascertain the palates and allergies, if any of the assembled guests. Thank the gods there were none. So, now they were free to proceed with the extravagant menu.

Every sample dish had been tasty, from simple fish and seaweed broth to the adorable bite size crab cakes. Shrimp dumplings with noodles and fried sweet savory crunchy anchovies were a treat too. The ladies especially like the soft steamed rice roll with a mix of shrimp, pork and thinly sliced crunchy tubers. The Zhang chefs had even managed to serve a snack of crispy fried seaweed which quickly became a favorite among the guests. Whoever would have thought to do that? Fresh steamed fish topped with ginger and soy sauce, was also heavenly! Even the hot plain porridge served with salted fish, black beans and fermented vegetables were delicious. Of course, they, the upper class had all sampled seafood before but never in such variety and so expertly prepared. They could only imagine a whole banquet!