Chapter 25 - Moon Goddess Temple Part 1

Inside the room, Lady Shuang, Madam Shao and LiQuin had been checked by a Healer and comforted by several sisters. The three women had been badly frightened but luckily no one was seriously hurt. Madam Shao had a few bruises from bumping around the carriage and LiQuin from shielding her mistress against falling luggage.

After changing their clothes and tidying up, they all felt better. Their things from the carriage had been brought in by the temple guards and placed in a corner of the simple room.

"Have some more hot tea, mistress. It will warm you up," offered LiQuin as she refilled Lady Shuang's cup.

Several nuns brought in refreshments and lit a large brazier. Soon the room became warm and cosy, keeping out the winter chill.

"What a journey," said Madam Shao shaking her head. "We were lucky Lord Zhai sent so many Elites to escort us."

"Yes," agreed LiQuin. "Not to mention Ghost and Key. They were very brave too."

She sat down at Lady Shuang's invitation. In this informal setting, Madam Shao and LiQuin were more companions than mistress and servants. They would revert back to their more formal roles once they returned to the Zhai estates.

"Mhmmm, they were weren't they?"

LiQuin raised her eyebrows at her mistress' whimsical tone. Something was up. Luckily Madam Shao was too distracted by the events. She got up to inspect their belongings.

"Please, continue eating and resting. I want to check if anything is damaged. I hope your special robes for tomorrow's prayers are fine," said Madam Shao as she got up to wander over to the boxes and chests. She hoped nothing was torn or lost. If there was, maybe she would have time to repair it tonight.

When she was out of earshot, LiQuin pulled her stool nearer to her mistress.

"Lady Shuang, are you feeling alright? You look a bit flustered."

"Well, yes ... but LiQuin, I think I'm in love," Lady Shuang whispered. "I mean really, really in love."

"Love? You mean Lord Zhang?"

"No silly, Ghost!"

"Ghost?" LiQuin asked in surprise.

"Did you see how dashing he was? He protected ME!" she stressed. "When I was in danger, he told Key to block my window so that I would not be hurt. Then he jumped onto our carriage to slow down the runaway horses so that I would not end up in a ditch somewhere."

"Umm." LiQuin's brow furrowed.

She remembered differently. Didn't Ghost shout at Lady Shuang for opening the window and putting herself and everyone inside the carriage in danger? And poor Key got shot blocking her from the arrow. He wouldn't have been hurt otherwise. The bodyguards and everyone else were expandable, Lady Shuang was not. LiQuin had seen Ghost's face when Key got hurt. He looked really scary angry before killing the offending archer without hesitation.

He did however jump onto the carriage to save them, but wasn't that his job? Ghost was the Lady's bodyguard. She was certain Key or any one of the Elites would have done the same were they nearer and able.

"He literally risked his life to save mine! I've never had a bodyguard who cared so much for me," continued Shuang dreamily. "It's true what they say."

"What's that?" asked LiQuin.

"Well, you know. The handsome bodyguard falling in love with the beautiful lady he is sworn to protect. I knew he would fall for me sooner or later. He can't help it."