Chapter 20 - Pilgrimage

The next day, everything was normal ... except for Lady Shuang's extra cheerful mood and random bursts of giggles. She also kept throwing conspiratorial glances and smiling secretly at LiQuin.

Ghost and Key did nothing out of the ordinary. They came in for her morning breakfast lesson and left to stand guard outside when she got ready for her lessons.

"See? I told you. They are not so great after all," Shuang crowed gleefully in a whisper. "We gave them the slip. They did not notice anything at all!"

"Yes, my Lady ..." LiQuin's soft voice replied agreeably.

Outside, Ghost and Key exchanged amused looks.

"Should we put her in her place?" asked Key. "This will only make her all high and mighty again."

Ghost shook his head. "No need. She seems happy to have bested us, let her be. There is no harm."

"If she becomes insufferable again, it's all your fault!" grumbled Key.

Half an hour later, the doors open. A humming Lady Shuang smirked at her two bodyguards as she passed them and winked at LiQuin before she proceeded down the path to her lesson.

Key rolled his eyes and LiQuin bobbed her head apologetically at the two men behind her mistress' back. Ghost gave a half smile acknowledging the maid's apology but said nothing.

Today's lesson was the continuation of the virtues of being a lady and a good wife. However, when they arrived, Madam Shao was talking with an official in full uniform. She was nodding her head animatedly in understanding. Apparently, he was relaying some important last minute instructions to her.

Madam Shao greeted Lady Shuang, "Ahhh there you are my Lady. Today's lessons will be changed slightly to include your revision of several prayers. We will go through them together to make sure you remember what you have memorized."

"Prayers?" Lady Suang asked.

"The prayers for a good marriage, a good husband and a prosperous future together. You must also ask for healthy and filial children."

"Oh, those prayers ..." Shuang sighed.

Those prayers were all very long, boring and repetitive for the most part. The elders seem to think that if they nagged the Moon Goddess enough and in variations, the deity would concede and grant them their desires. She herself did not have much faith in such beliefs but had learn the texts as expected of her out of propriety.

"Yes, Vice-Captain Ling here has instructions from Lord Zhai. Your pilgrimage to the Moon Goddess' temple is finally confirmed but it is cut short to only a few days instead of the original one week.

Vice-Captain Ling nodded beside her. "Lord Zhai says you are to leave tomorrow morning. Madam Shao and one of your chosen maids will accompany you. Vice-Captain Xin and his men will escort you."

Captain Chiang had selected Xin, the newest Vice-Captain for the task. It would allow young Xin to build his military merits. The other Vice-Captains, including him had already been assigned other duties.

"Tomorrow morning? So soon?"

"Yes, you must go and return before your engagement and wedding. Lord Zhang will arrive soon. After that, there will be no time to go to the temple."

Madam Shao took Shuang's hand. "Do not worry child, I will be there. It will be a short trip. The temple is near, only a day's travel."

Vice-Captain Ling saluted smartly. "I'll leave you to make the necessary arrangements."