Chapter 12 - Zhang Xi Xiu

Ghost made a face at the Spy Master.

"I told you, it's just Ghost ... why does everyone keep calling me Xiao Gui?"

"Everyone? Who else dares call you that?"

"Everyone," grumbled Ghost making a face. "Everyone outside the Sect. Is no one afraid of me?"

"I wonder why?" Xi Xuan asked smiling. With his young sweet face and charismatic personality, people couldn't help but be drawn to him. Ghost did not look like a threat.

"How did you know I would be in the city?"

"You need to ask?" the Five smirked proudly. The Spy Master was not the only one who had Intel. He had his own means too, although it had been difficult to confirm the obscure rumours. Xi Xuan was good at covering his tracks but he did not have to know that, did he? He would just make it look easy so his friend would be kept on his toes.

"Hmmm. I thought I squashed all possible rumours of my early arrival. Do others know?" he asked worriedly wondering if his secrecy was for nought.

"Nah. I'm faster than your team," he replied. "But no one else knows or there would have been a welcoming party out front."

"Good."

The Spy Master had came here early to catch up on work. If anyone knew he was early, he would never get any serious work done. The expected socializing from the various Houses would consume all his time. There was enough time for that when he revealed his presence later. Right now, he had important reports and updates to consider and decisions to make.

Some things had to be seen in person. He had to meet some contacts for sensitive information. His father had taught him to be hands on when the need arose. Never let the agents feel neglected or abandoned. They must know they can rely on the Zhangs when they got into trouble. Several spies have been pulled out of dangerous situations and saved before.

"Work?"

"Yes."

Ghost sat quietly for a while. "Congratulations."

This time Xi Xuan made a face. "You heard about my marriage to House Zhai."

"Of course. That's why you're here aren't you."

"Officially, yes. I'm killing two birds with one stone. I get to straighten out some issues here and gain an alliance through this marriage."

"You don't seen enthusiastic. Why? I heard she is the beauty of Zinnu."

"Beauty is nothing to me. It's her reputation which concerns me. Other than being a beauty, she is known for her narcissistic and entitled behaviour. If not for the mutual alliance benefits, I would not consider it. I prefer to live in peace."

Ghost laughed at his friend's blunt honesty.

"I'm glad I'm not in your position. I can't imagine having to marry someone for reasons other than love."

"It's just business to me. I've been raised to do my duty. The Zhang family and our people comes first," he stated, then added thoughtfully, "Who knows? Maybe we'll grow to love each other over time. I understand she wasn't given a choice either. Lord Zhai arranged it. I hope she will give me a chance to show her all I can offer her and be a good husband."

Xi Xuan refilled Ghost's cup and held up his own. "By the way, congratulations on your fifth blade."

Ghost smiled pleased that his friend had picked up on that tidbit. It had been a proud moment for him and he had had no one else to share it with. He held up his own steaming cup a moment before drinking to the toast. A toast with tea was just as good as a toast with wine, he supposed. It was the person toasting him that mattered.