Chapter 37 - Yuan Shun Xi

Lady Shuang sat at the small gazebo near the lake. Her maid stood respectfully by her side. The clear blue skies and fleeting puffy clouds were in direct contract to her gloomy mood. She watched the soft waves lapping gently at the shore as the chilly breeze chased each other playfully on the surface. Soon the lake will be frozen, just like her heart. All the animals had gone and the lush rich greenery framing the water had browned and withered.

Winter had arrived bringing death, just like her coming marriage will bring death to her freedom, hopes and dreams, she thought darkly.

The young girl shivered with more than cold. Her future was bleak indeed. A solitary tear slide down her cheek. She should have been born a man, than she would not have to marry Lord Zhang. She couldn't think of anything to avoid the looming marriage. Imagine having to waste her youth and beauty on an old man!

Life on the Grey Islands would be unbearable, she knew no one and would be cut off from her friends and fun city life. Trapped on the great lump of rock he called a home, surrounded by murderous pirates and treacherous straits, she would soon go mad. But no one cared, father just wanted to use her to get the riches of the sea and Lord Zhang wanted a beautiful young bride he could flaunt. No one asked her what she wanted!

C'mon Shuang, think! Think! But her desperation only produced more tears.

Ghost and Key stood at the entrance a few meters away to allow her privacy. They were not permitted near her as she was still mad at them for ruining her plans. However, they still followed her everywhere when she deigned to step out of her chambers.

For a moment, the young girl forgot that she was supposed to be angry at them. Her eyes strayed to the good looking men who guarded her. Both looked so attractive just standing there. It was such a waste that Key already had a lover somewhere and Ghost ... that insufferable man just wouldn't look at her as a woman. It was true that he was far beneath her, but that made his indifference towards her even more irksome. He should be honoured by her attentions towards him not just treat her like a spoilt child. He did his job and that was it.

"Lady Shuang?" Ghost inquired politely noticing her gaze on them.

His low velvety voice was seductive as always. Her lips curved upwards unconsciously when their eyes met. Ghost tilted his head and raised an eyebrow at her to follow up on his verbal question. Her heart did a little somersault in her chest. He looked so cute! Ghost really was a great bodyguard, thought Shuang randomly. He was always alert at her every move. If only he was not so dense. Didn't he know that she liked him? What was wrong with him? She thought about forgiving Ghost then until he uttered his next words.

"Maybe if you meet Lord Zhang you will feel better. He is not ... "

That reminded her of what they had done and her failed attempt at coercing her father. Anger flared up again.

"Shut up!"

She glared daggers at him. Stupid Ghost! Stupid Key! Shuang sniffled and turned her back resolutely on her offending bodyguards. She stared at the rippling water again. The whole world was against her!

The ensuing silence was broken by a stranger's voice.

"What is a beautiful scene. If only the pretty maiden is not so sad, then it would be perfect."

Shuang swung around at the unfamiliar male voice. A young man stood at the entrance.

Ghost was holding out his arm blocking the noble from entering. Key's hand rested lightly on his sword as he angled his body to back Ghost up. They did not say anything. Their actions spoke for them.

"May I come in?" he asked eyeing her two alert bodyguards warily.

"Who?"

"My lady, I am the eldest son of Lord Yuan. We arrived a few days ago."