Chapter 54 - Petty Revenge

Following an awkward silence, the hesitant well wishing begun.

House after House took turns to stand up, say a few congratulatory words and toast the happy couple. The previous festive atmosphere was somewhat subdued. No one knew what to make out of the unexpected turn of events. Until they could determine the real situation and how it would affect their own Houses, it was best to play it safe. Right now, if Lord Zhai said his daughter was marrying Lord Yuan, then that was what was happening.

The changing political tides caused a subtle tension in the room. What had been a simple reaffirmation of allies and gauging of other Houses during the Ruling House's celebration had now became a once in a lifetime opportunity for those brave enough to seize it. Just look at House Yuan!

House Yuan's prestige and power was set to increase if Yuan Shun Xi married into the Ruling House's family. Opportunities were opening up for those allied with House Yuan but those which allied with House Zhang were not so lucky. They may end up falling in ranks along with House Zhang. Gaining House Yuan's favor suddenly became very important on many agendas.

The veterans laughed and drank whilst plotting their next moves. Many pitied House Zhang. Losing a marital alliance with the Ruling House to a much lesser House must be humiliating indeed. Poor timid Zhang Xi Xuan, maybe the era of House Zhang was at an end. Maybe, just maybe House Yuan might replace House Zhang as the top three Houses in Zinnu in the near future.

Lord Zhai kept scratching his chin and stroking his sort beard, a sure sign he was hatching some plan. Lord Xu caught Xi Xuan's attention, tilted his head as if to covey his sympathy and comfort.

"Our deal is still on. We'll work on your ship's defenses after all this," he promised. "Business is business."

Zhang Xi Xuan smiled gratefully at Lord Xu's support and lifted his cup. The two Lords drank to the reaffirmation of their alliance.

Below them, Lord Wen was busy congratulating Shun Xi's father. House Yuan and House Wen's bond was strong. The two Houses were related by blood via several intermarriages. They would both gain by this marriage.

Next to them, Lord Li was apprehensive. He had recently approached House Zhang for some business, the hides of sharks, seals and whatever sea creatures that yielded large pieces of curable skin. His House was known for unique wearable materials. Would this disaster have negative causes to his venture? Should he withdraw his request? House Zhang had not given an answer yet. Should he side with House Zhai and Yuan or House Zhang?

House Heng was also on the fence. House Fu and House Ji seemed neutral but were also gauging the impact of the substituted groom.

Meanwhile Lord Yuan couldn't stop smiling at his good fortune. He raised his wine cup to toast anyone and everyone who met his gaze. Next to him, Lady Shuang kept stealing glances at her former fiance through lowered lashes. She seemed to be too interested in him after rejecting him outright. Several times, she whispered conspiratorially to her maid and bodyguards after making some observation or other of the jilted lord.

In contrast, Lord Zhang and his whole table was quiet. Poor Zhang looked crestfallen and heartbroken but managed to keep a watery smile on his handsome face. Being a martyr for his beliefs of true love must be very hard. His selfless act of withdrawing his rightful suit for the sake of Lady Shuang's true love was commendable indeed. He was a romantic and true gentleman!

"Gege, are you alright? I can reach out and drop some laxatives into her cup ... I'm sure Lady Wei has some on her," Xi Xiu whispered.

"Xi Xiu, behave yourself. You'll do no such thing!"