Chapter 4 -Spy

When Ghost returned to Mudan's bedroom, only the sleeping boy was there. He heard voices at the outer chamber.

"Mudan?"

Mudan half turned from the open door.

"Xiao Gui. Sorry for waking you ... but something has come up," she gave him a warning glance indicating a flustered girl standing at the threshold.

"Ahhh, Wei Wei said Xiao Gui was here. I didn't know you were resting ... I'm sorry if I disturbed you."

"It's o'kay, Ju (Daisy)," Ghost replied the girl taking Mudan's cue.

No one else knew of his real purpose here or his actual relationship with Mudan. They all thought he was a favoured customer of the owner. He gambled occasionally and flirted with the girls to keep up appearances but he only did his 'serious drinking' or other business behind Mudan's doors.

"What's the problem?" he asked.

"I came to report a suspicious person to Mudan. Someone has been asking around about the Dark Sect."

"Oh?" prompted Ghost suddenly on high alert.

Although the various watering holes and pleasure houses in the city were frequented by all walks of life, Houses and the different Sects, it was common courtesy to mind one's own business. Not doing so could be dangerous to one's health as it would inadvertently attract the attention of the relevant parties.

Ju eyed Ghost. "He is asking about the Shards and if anyone knows how to contact them. I haven't seen him before. I think he's new," she concluded her report.

"What do you want to do?" Mudan asked Ghost since it involved him directly.

Ghost grinned. "I think I'll go check this guy out and see what he wants."

"Try not to break anything. I'll make you pay for damages!" she called out after him.

Ghost laughed. She always threaten that but never did.

When Ju pointed the man out to Ghost, he left her with Mudan at the balcony overlooking the common area. Slowly he made his way to the stranger.

Noting another two off duty Shards in the crowd, he signaled them to stand down. Although they were both older than him, he was the ranking Shard. He would handle the situation. The Four gave a slight nod, motioned that his Target was alone and went back to his drinking whilst the Two winked at him and called out playfully to the girl attending him. She promptly sat in his lap giggling.

Neither questioned Ghost's presence. What each Shard did with their own time and behind closed doors was their own business. As long as the missions assigned them were completed within contract stipulations and Old Wolf was happy, all was good. They did however, look out and support each other unconditionally against others wherever they were. Their allegiance and loyalty was first and foremost to the Dark Sect.

Ghost casually approached the Target and sat down near him. A server appeared placing a tray complete with a dainty porcelain teapot with matching tea cups for Ghost. The Shard proceeded to pour and sip his tea casually studying the stranger.

The man was small, almost petite and dressed casually. He was also young and clean shaven. Although his clothes were nondescript at a glance, careful observation distinguished it's extraordinary texture. The unique material was not readily available in Zinnu. The Shard's eyes narrowed. There was only one House which used that particular material and it was not from the mainland.

House Zhang.

The stranger was from the Grey Islands. Ghost relaxed, more informed in the few minutes of observation then before. Mentally, he reviewed his knowledge of the Grey Island in preparation. He would proceed accordingly.