Chapter 7 - Selection

"Who do you have in mind?" asked Crow.

Old Wolf turned to Nightshade. "Who is available?"

This was an unprecedented contract which would take the entire winter season. Three whole months was a long time for a single mission. Those who were chosen would be wholly committed to the lady's full time protection. They would not be able to take part in future covert missions for the duration not that many were expected during the coming months. However, one never know when an exciting mission will appear to test their skills. Although, this mission promised to be boring and taxing on one's patience, it paid well.

The chosen ones would also get more than standard missions due to the unique nature of the task and its lucrative payment. At 100 gold coins per week, the Shards involved would earn 10 gold coins per week each. A substantial sum. The chosen Shards would be well off indeed after this mission.

Protection for Lady Shuang will be required twenty four seven. There will be no breaks; rest and sustenance will be on convenience basis. Who had that kind of stamina and endurance? Not only that, who could be calm and flexible enough in 'trying situations'. Also, teamwork was essential. The two Shards must be able to work closely together to make it work.

Old Wolf chortled. If the rumours were to be believed, he would need someone who could either tolerate Shuang's outrageous behaviour or deflect it. Perhaps someone not too much older then her? Someone who could bear her nonsense and not lose their temper. The older ones would probably bind her up, stuff her mouth and leave her in a closet somewhere, if she was lucky. Killing her was out of the question, it would be too messy for something they were not getting paid for.

"Well, this contract needs the Skills of at least a Four. They may have to kill. There may be fighting and deaths involved if anyone dares to attack or kidnap the girl," he paused thinking.

"Arrow and Cloud are around."

"Arrow requested some time off to settle a personal dispute and Cloud needs to rest. The last mission was hard on him."

"What about Mist?"

"She is still recovering from a stab wound."

"Level Fives?" asked Nightshade, "... I know Glass is home. How about him?"

"No. Glass can't work with anyone. His style of working is incompatible with others. I promised a team of two. Anyway, he would sooner torture and kill the girl than protect her."

Crow laughed. "True."

"What about Ghost? He has just been promoted to a Five. He is too active running around delivering messages in between his official assigned cases. This should slow him down and give the others a chance. Let him cool his heels at Zhai's for the winter."

"The others didn't want the extra jobs he took. It was too trivial for them," Crow reminded Nightshade. Seriously, what did it matter if a Five was doing a One or Two's job. Ghost liked keeping busy and was not picky with his missions. Besides, it was good for the Sect. "It's not like he snatched jobs from them. There have been no complaints."

"He is still too active for my liking. He is seldom here anymore and is making the others look idle," argued Nightshade throwing a scowl at Old Wolf. "Always on the outside running around. Only the Gods know what he is up to. It's not good to favour him so much."

Old Wolf stayed calm not rising to Nightshade's provocation. As the Leader of the Dark Sect, he was supposed to be impartial and fair. However, everyone knew he had recruited Ghost and although not obvious, favoured him. Many were jealous at the boy's rapid rise in ranks conveniently overlooking all the hard work, sacrifices and training he did to prove himself and pass the difficult Level tests.