Chapter 18 - Escapade Part 1

A week passed without any major incidences. MengYao and MengYu had miraculously backed off. When they did crossed paths, her elder brothers simply glanced at her bodyguards and smirked at her as if they shared an inside joke.

Lady Shuang tried her best to ignore them. Since they left her alone, she was content. In fact she was quite grateful for the respite from their constant bullying. This was the first time in a long while that she actually felt safe from them and she attributed it to Ghost and Key. As long as either one was around, no one, not even MengYao and MengYu would dare bully her.

To her teachers' delight, Lady Shuang begun to pay more attention to her lessons. They noticed a change in her attitude, a subtle sense of determination and responsibility. If before, she openly showed her boredom and lack of interest for learning, now she seemed to value her teachers and the lessons they tried to teach her.

Lady Shuang actually listened and practiced more diligently. Although she improved in all her classes, the most notable changes were in Madam Shao's etiquette lessons. The young girl was more respectful to the elderly lady. She actually greeted her before each lesson and thanked her after it was over. Due to this, she could not help but improve. The welcomed change in the youngest daughter of House Zhai astounded everyone.

The young girl had improved tremendously, due to two factors. The first was that she had learned the hardest lesson in life, that her action or inaction could directly affect other people's lives. Especially those around her.

The second, and more importantly was to show her annoying bodyguards that they were wrong about her. She could not help it, she had to prove something especially to that annoying Ghost. How dare he say that even a commoner like himself had better manners and eating habits compared to her? Her! A daughter of the Ruling House in Zinnu! Hah! That was what he thought!! She would show him. She was a noble lady of House Zhai not an uncivilized peasant like him. She was from the rich upper class and better than him in all ways!

Since his goading and provocations, she had ordered Ghost to eat with her at every meal, mimicking and even exaggerating 'exemplary' table manners behaviour she had learned from Madan Shao. Ghost had no choice but to comply, after all, didn't Lord Zhai promise an additional reward for improvements in his daughter's social behaviour? It never hurt to have more gold right?

The Five picked at his food delicately, ate quietly and chewed with his mouth closed, all the while keeping a neutral expression. He also sat down his chopsticks gently and drank slowly ... exactly like a cultured woman would, since he knew she was unconsciously mimicking him. It wouldn't do for her to pick up his actual eating habits.

A busy Shard ate whenever, wherever and however he could to survive. One did not always have the time or proper eating utensils on the job. He had even eaten with dirty bare hands and drank water from a muddy ditch before. Ghost sighed internally. He felt so stifled. When she was busy adjusting her chopsticks to pick up half the amount she usually did, he would glare at Key.

The two Shards had had a private conversation earlier.

"Why me?"

"Because if it was me, she would talk throughout the meal. It would defeat the whole purpose of her practicing good manners."

"How long do I have to do this for?"

Key smirked. "Until she learns her table manners and her ladylike composure is automatic and natural, I guess. Teaching her manners is part of the bonus mission, remember? I want to be rich."

Ghost scowled. It was going to take forever. He and his big mouth, now he regretted saying anything. He should have let Key do the talking.

"Am I better now Key?" asked Lady Shuang in an exaggerated soft voice. She fluttered her lashes for extra effect. She asked Key because she would have a better chance of a compliment from him compared to Ghost.