Chapter 28 - Home

Lady Shuang's party was met near the Zhai Estates by a dozen Elites guards. News had reached Lord Zhai of the ambush so he had ordered out an escort squad. The report received by Captain Chiang was relayed to him late last night. By that time, his precious daughter was already safe and preparing for her trip back.

Lord and Lady Zhai made a huge fuss over her. Captain Chiang commended Vice-Captain Xin for his fast action. Due to his exemplary leadership, Lady Shuang was safe and there were only two casualties, three if they counted the missing war horse.

"Captain, we would have had more casualties if not for the Lady's bodyguards. They were both vital to the Lady's protection," explained Xin humbly.

Xin made it a point to mention the bodyguards. It was only fair to give where credit was due. It was true, what he said. Both Ghost and Key had saved several of his Elites by efficiently throwing daggers, shards and who knew what other weapons at their attackers. Rebels about to strike fatal blows to his men suddenly collapsed grunting to the ground or dropped their weapons when numerous sharp missiles embedded themselves into their flesh. Hands, thighs and chests became bloody in seconds defusing the threat.

He saw first hand how efficiently the bodyguards worked together, seamlessly complimenting each other in their attack and defense. It was almost like they knew what the other was thinking. But how? They did not shout to each other, in fact, they had both been eerily silent during the skirmish, only mumbling to themselves. No one could hear what they said, he had checked with his men. Perhaps they had a cheering litany or war cry which they recited to themselves? He made a mental note to ask Ghost the next time they have a chance to speak.

The Vice-Captain had noticed that Key aimed only to wound, not kill. But Ghost was different. He had killed. Strangely enough, the younger bodyguard had only killed those who attacked Lady Shuang's carriage directly, the rest he disarmed or injured to slow them down. A good example of that was the rebel who had dared aim an arrow at Shuang but had hit Key instead. He had openly threatened Lady Shuang's life. Ghost had eliminated him without hesitation.

Captain Chiang looked past his subordinate to study the two men. They were both injured. Key was balancing himself on one leg. He had an arm around Ghost's shoulder to steady himself. The Shards had actually protected Lady Shuang. He had doubted the Dark Sect but had kept it to himself. That was why he had sent Xin and so many Elites with her. Amazingly, the Dark Sect had pulled through, Lord Zhai's risky gamble had paid off.

Poor Xin, thought Chiang. He should keep the Shards' real identity to himself. If Xin knew Lady Shuang's bodyguards were from the notorious Dark Sect, his uptight Vice-Captain would freak out.

"Noted. I will report to Lord Zhai and include their part in the incident."

"But Captain ..." started Xin.

"Yes Vice-Captain? Do you have something to add?"

"Lady Shuang's bodyguard, Ghost ..."

"Yes, what about him?"

"Well, he's ... he ..." Xin stuttered and swallowed.

Conflicting emotions crossed Xin's face. He should report Ghost! A Shard was running around loose in House Zhai! But his wife ... Xin hesitated as he thought of Qinqin. That scoundrel will surely rat on him spying on her. Qinqin will never forgive him and with a child on the way, what if she left him and took his child with her? He couldn't risk it. He could not live without his precious Qinqin. Damn that Messenger.

Captain Chiang's eyes narrowed. Did Xin know? Did something happen during the lady's pilgrimage that the Shard's identity was revealed? A quick glance at Ghost shocked him when their eyes met briefly. The Shard was watching him! Ghost half-smiled in acknowledgement then turned his attention back to Lady Shuang. Both the Shards were patiently waiting on the young mistress along with her whole entourage. Everyone would only be allowed to disperse and rest from their journey when Lord and Lady Zhai finished fussing over her.