Chapter 22 - Sanctuary

"Secure the gates!!" barked the Captain of the Temple guards as Lady Shuang's carriage slowed to a stop inside the temple gates.

"Keep a lookout for the rest of the party! They should be close behind ... if there are survivors."

Armed guards ran to their positions ready to defend the Moon Goddess Temple from desecration. Everyone was welcome here to pray and find peace regardless of their background. But violence was not allowed or welcomed on the holy grounds and the temple guards were trained to enforce that. If they wanted to fight, do it outside and away from the temple.

"Sister!" the Captain called to a senior nun and pointed to the battered carriage.

She nodded. The nuns would take care of the wounded while the guards focused on defence. Who knew if the attackers would follow the chase into the grounds or respect the temple?

The carriage was riddled with arrows and the frame was broken. The horses were agitated and extremely excited. They had to be calmed down to prevent any potential accidents.

Two men were in the drivers seat. One seemed to be dead or unconscious. He was leaning against the back rest unmoving. The other was dazed and bleeding but he was still holding onto the slacked reins tightly. They had risked their lives to ensure the safe arrival of the carriage. Surely, the people inside were more important than these men.

She took charge and started issuing orders. Nuns responded immediately. Making soothing sounds and moving in a non-threatening way, two approached the wide eyed horses. Another checked on the men.

"Thank you," Ghost croaked at the nun who had climbed aboard to tend to the wounded driver. She quickly called several temple guards over to help carry the unconscious driver down.

Ghost shook himself out of his stupor. This was not the time to rest, not yet. There were still some things to be taken off first. Carefully, he unwound the leather straps from his bleeding arms. It had cut into his flesh through his sleeves. His bare hands were a mess, his palms were lacerated and bloody. Wincing in pain, he peeled off the wet cloth. It wouldn't do for his sleeves to stick to his wounds when the blood dried. It would be harder to separate it then.

Next were the ties around his body. It had done its job, securing him to the moving carriage and providing much needed leverage against the sheer strength of the horses. He was under no illusion that his small human body could take on two powerful equines.

The spare leather reins had constricted impossibly around his waist and he was in no condition to loosen the tightened knots. So he simply cut the ties with a sharp dagger from his boot. Ahhh! He could breathe again. His whole body ached and his dislocated shoulder was killing him but he was alive. Ghost swallowed, enduring the pain. A little longer, he promised himself.

The Shard got up slowly. Opening the door to the carriage, he poked his head in. He was immediately greeted with fresh shrill screams. Madam Shao and LiQuin looked up amidst rumpled dress and tangled hair from the floor. Lady Shuang had somehow managed to stay seated but she looked badly shaken. She was holding onto the seat and the nailed down table with a death grip. All had been crying. LiQuin still had tears running down her stricken face.

Inside was a wreck. Neatly stacked luggage and packages were strewn all over the floor. The tea they were drinking had spilled and snacks crushed. Crumbs and cutlery were all over the place.

"It's alright. Everything is over now," Ghost said in a low soothing voice. He leaned against the door frame unobtrusively propping himself up. "We've arrived safely at the Moon Goddess Temple."

"Oh! Thank God!" exclaimed Madam Shao and clasped her hands together in heartfelt thanks to the Heavens.

LiQuin sniffled loudly, wiping her tears away daintily with an embroidered handkerchief. She had been so scared.