Chapter 6 - Deal

Captain Chiang stood respectfully behind Lord Zhai as his Master met up with the Leader of the Dark Sect.

"Old Wolf," greeted the Leader of the Ruling House.

"Lord Zhai," responded Old Wolf. "What brings you here?"

The Leader of the Dark Sect was typically dressed in black. His heavily embroidered black outfit did nothing to hide his tall muscular frame. He was very fit and ruggedly handsome. An aura of power emanated from the ranking Shard. Old Wolf carried no visible weapons but Lord Zhai was not fooled. The man himself was a weapon.

Old Wolf's presence alone could intimidate men but not Lord Zhai. He too had seen his fair share of battles.

"I came to give see an old friend."

Old Wolf raised an eyebrow. Old friend? What was he talking about. He had no friends, that was how he had survived for so long. No one outside the Dark Sect could be trusted and only a few inside.

"It's been some time since we've had a chance to drink together," Lord Zhai continued deliberately ignoring Old Wolf's pointed expression. He ushered Captain Chiang forward to present a large earthen jar. "A rare wine from the mountains of Liang ... and ..."

"And?"

"An offer."

Old Wolf finally smiled, deepening the wrinkles on his craggy face. As much as he enjoyed a good drink, money was even better.

"Come, sit. We shall enjoy the wine together while we talk business."

After the two had wet their throats and Old Wolf had made the customary appreciative comments, the two became serious. Their respective men stood behind them.

"Tell me," invited Old Wolf simply.

"Yes, well, I'll get straight to the point then. It's my youngest daughter. I need bodyguards for her."

Old Wolf stiffen as he stared at Lord Zhai. He had expected a request to steal or fetch an impossible item, a job that would require the skills of his highly trained Shards. Maybe even kill a rival or send a gruesome message to someone well protected but this, this was just unheard of. He took a moment to collect his wits.

"Lord Zhai ..." said Old Wolf in a long suffering tone and put down his wine cup. Behind him Crow's mouth twitch with amusement. "Lord Zhai ... I thought you understood our explicit business especially since we have had dealings in the past. I don't know what you've heard recently but I assure you, the Dark Sect have not changed our business."

"You won't do it?"

"The Dark Sect do not provide baby-sitting services," Old Wolf replied primly. Crow was grinning openly now much to Captain Chiang's obvious discomfort. Lord Zhai's awesome military achievements was useless when it came to his family especially when it involved his wife or youngest daughter.

"What about your Elite guards?" Crow asked candidly eyeing both Lord Zhai and his subordinate. "Doesn't the Elite guards provide protection for the Zhai family?" he asked suspiciously. The Elite guards were renown for their fighting skills and fierce loyalty to House Zhai.

Old Wolf nodded at Crow's question. It was a valid point. Crow was one of his trusted aides and a witness to this deal. Nightshade lurked unseen by the guests, he kept track of the active Shards. They were both Level Sixes.

Captain Chiang gave a small embarrassed cough.

Lord Zhai took a sip of wine before replying. "That's true but we have some, umm ... temporary internal difficulties at the moment. As such, I require several of your men to guard her."