Chapter 35 - Key

Key glanced at Ghost when he returned. Everything was as when he had left an hour ago.

The Three was still outside Shuang's chambers indicating she was inside and that her two bodyguards were still not allowed inside, her 'punishment' for them interfering with her 'protest' to marry old Zhang. On her arrival back to her quarters. She had banned them from entering her rooms.

"Shuang o'kay?"

"Yup, she's safe inside, still ignoring us ... and Lord Zhang."

Ghost shook his head. Shuang's belief that the elderly Master Kai was Xi Xuan made her refuse to entertain him. Over the past few days, his numerous invitations to meet were summarily declined, some with excuses some without. When Ghost tried to explain, she covered her ears and shouted at him to get out of her sight. Traitors do not belong in her presence.

"She can't ignore him forever. The Engagement feast is in a few more days and the wedding feast after that," reasoned Ghost.

"She can try," Key smirked. "I already pity Lord Zhang. He will have his hands full with her as a wife. Thank God we will be free by then."

The Five shook his head. He was really glad he was not in Xi Xuan's place. "She's not doing herself any favours. Starting marriage life with a bad attitude is going to make both parties miserable. So much for an alliance. "

Inside, Shuang was still engrossed in her painting. The colour palette next to her was a mess of primary and mixed hues. She was currently obsessed with pretty flowers in full bloom. However as it was winter and all the flowers and greenery had withered, so she was copying from another drawing.

"By the way ... she's out."

Key's eyes lighted up. "Really?" The next second, he choked up. "Thanks Ghost," he said his voice breaking. "I ... I ..."

Ghost clapped the emotional Three on his back. "Ice is waiting for you in the tool shed behind the vegetable garden."

The Master Thief was blinking rapidly trying to get his emotions under control. Ice was out. She was saved. He breathed deeply regaining control.

"Get her something to eat and drink. She's not in the best shape."

"I'll do that."

He hugged the younger Shard briefly. "Thanks Ghost. I really owe you one. If you ever need anything in the future, just ask."

Ghost clapped the Three on his arm, accepting his thanks. "Go to her."

Key nodded then hobbled past the front door and made a show of peeking in. When LiQuin saw him, he waved and pantomimed shivering. It was cold outside, winter was upon them. She covered her mouth to hide her smile at his comical gestures but shook her head. No, they were still not allowed in. Sorry. The lady was still angry at them. Key shrugged exaggerating defeat and backed away from her view.

"Seriously?"

"What?"

"Do you have to make it so obvious?"

"I just wanted to make sure they see me and know that we are 'around'. We must condition them to assume we are always lurking somewhere even if they don't see us."

"I know that."

"It makes our need to disappear for short whiles job easier. Less suspicious. Maybe you should show your face too, you know, to confirm your presence. They won't know you were missing for a bit."

Ghost snorted. "I think I'll pass."

"Sure?"

"Go, be quick. I'll cover you."