Chapter 17 - Challenge

"Where is Ghost?" asked Lady Shuang. She had not seen him since he left the room in a hurry earlier.

"The previous shift scared him away," laughed Key indicating the attending maids.

By now the news of Ghost's bachelor status had spread. The atmosphere had become ridiculously cheerful and expectant much to Key's amusement. Everyone seemed to be trying to catch the Five's attention.

"Oh?"

"I think he is hiding somewhere afraid for his life."

Lady Shuang tried to imagine Ghost hiding from her and her harmless maids. The mental image in her head was too funny making her giggle.

"He is not!" she declared but fell into another fit of giggles when she glanced at LiQuin. She had seen LiQuin approach Ghost several times. Perhaps her favourite maid liked him too?

"You never know. There is after all only one of him and so many maids. Why do you have so many? However skilled he is, even he can't fight them all. His only option to survive is to hide until they all lose interest in him."

"Lose interest in him? I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon." Lady Shuang wiped tears of laughter and gasped for breath. "Oh Key! You are heartless. Poor Ghost!"

"Don't worry about him. He's around," Key assured her. "You never know when and where he will pop up."

"That's true."

Reassured that the missing Ghost was around somewhere but out of sight, Lady Shuang returned her attention to her painting. Key stepped back into position, a few steps away from her. He was watching her while Ghost was taking this opportunity to scout the prison. The Three was positive he would get the layout of the place and a plan by the time he returned. It was time to get Ice out.

-----

The next morning, Lady Shuang was stopped by MengYao and Mengyu during her morning walk. Ghost and Key were instantly alert. There were six of them, the two brothers and their four guards. The Shards sized them up mentally taking note of their positions, weapons and distance from Shuang. They moved nearer to their Target.

"Shuang! What a surprise," MengYao greeted her.

"No it's not. You know I walk here every other morning."

"Why so nervous? MengYu sneered at Key. "There is no pond nearby."

Key did not reply.

"You don't have to be rude, Shuang. Your manners are really lacking," chided MengYao. "We just want to see you ... and your guards."

"Yeah, we heard they are not Elites, is that true? They are mercenaries or fighters from some secret organizaion. I wouldn't be surprised if they were from ... from the Dark Sect!" MengYu said naming the most notorious underworld organization. That should scare her.

"I don't believe you!" cried Shuang.

"Is that why they bullied our guards the other day?" asked MengYu.

"Bullied?" Shuang's voice rose shrilly at the outrageous accusation. She was emboldened by the presence of her capable bodyguards. "Who was bullying whom?"

MengYao sighed loudly. "Really sister, your temper is so unbecoming of a lady. Perhaps you require more lessons on etiquette or maybe ..." he glanced conspiratorially at his brother who smirked in encouragement, " ... we should punish your current teacher. She is doing a terrible job of educating you, don't you think?"

"Don't you dare do anything to Madam Shao!" she cried horrified at the thought. Her etiquette teacher was the sweetest elderly woman who was most patient with her. She never scolded or raised her voice at Shuang.