𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

Mattheo looked at me startled, his hands placed on my hips gently

"What do you mean she's back? Like now?" He asked me, startled.

"Yes! We should go back to the castle!" I said, grabbing his shoulders and trying to push him.

I was too panicked to think clearly.

"Calm down. If she really is here, you can't hide from her for much longer. You're too brave to be afraid of your own mother." He said, his dark brown eyes staring at me, sweetly.

"You're saying that because you haven't met her." I spat, starting to shake.

"Yet." He replied, placing a strand of my hair behind my ear.

I breathed out heavily, trying to relax myself before I had an actual panic attack.

"Should we go back inside?" He asked, genuinely concerned about me.

His hands cupped mine, warming my body and soul at the same time. His comfort was all I needed.

"Yes.." I mumbled, as he let go of one of my hands, pulling me towards the castle gates.

My free arm almost felt the coldness of the night air, along with the pain of his warmth leaving me.

We took 3 steps away from our spot, when I heard the familiar voice. 14 had passed and her last words echoed in my mind, never letting me forget the sound.

"Not so fast, daughter."

I froze in my spot, unable to move or speak. My mind was flooded with memories and thoughts. The moment I dreaded for so many years, but also the one that I prayed every night to come true when I was a kid. Because I missed her.  Because I needed my mother.

Now I wasn't so sure if those feelings applied to the current situation.

I turned to face her, my eyes once again watering, my vision blurry, but my tension clear as ever.

"Mother." I spoke, the words sounding unfamiliar to my own ears.

"We need to talk." She said, looking at me with her empty gaze.

My mother wasn't like that. She was a beautiful woman, her figure was always glowing, all eyes turned on her. I used to look up to her beauty and brains. Now I didn't see any of it.

"Really? After all this years, you see your daughter and the first thing you have to say is "We need to talk."!?" My rage was consuming me, as I took a step towards the woman.

"I understand your frustration, darling. But I can explain everything. The reason I left, the reason I returned, every single question you might have. Even him." She replied, nodding towards Mattheo, who was standing a few steps behind me, watching the interaction silently.