Chapter 50

Niall's p.o.v

"What are we doing, Li?"

Looking away from the TV, Niall ignored the sounds of Bob the builder as he looked up at Liam, raising a eyebrow as the older guy stared quizzically at him, Liam lowering the volume on the TV and making sure Kieran was still occupied before he answered Niall. "I'd say we were two people watching Bob the builder at half past five on a Sunday morning because their one year old decided he was done sleeping, both of them trying not to fall back asleep. Why? Where are you going with this?"

Pulling his feet up under him, Niall ran a hand through his hair, shaking his head before saying "I meant as in us, our relationship. What are we doing with us?"

Blinking, Liam sat up a little, staring at Niall as he tried to think of an appropriate answer, trying not think about why Niall was asking as he said "With us? We're engaged. A family of three with another baby on the way... Why? Are you saying-"

"No, it's nothing like that, Li. It's just... we've been engaged for four months, give or take a few days, and we have no plans for the future, no plans for a wedding." Resting his hand over his stomach, Niall shifted so he was sitting closer to Liam, wishing he'd chosen his words more clearly as he watched the alarmed look on Liam's face turn into one of confusion.

Retrieving Kieran's toy from where it handed landed when the one yearly had throw in, Liam placed it back next to their son, grateful for the momentary distraction before he turned his attention back on to Niall. "We haven't really talked about it, no. I just assumed we had enough on our hands right now and that a wedding would be sorted when we had more time...."

Taking a deep breath, Liam met Niall's gaze, trying and failing to stifle a yawn before he asked "Ni, where are you going with this?"

"I guess, Li, I was thinking that maybe we could actually talk about it. As I said, we've been engaged for a while and it'd be nice to maybe sort some details out..." Leaning back into the couch and resting his head on Liam's shoulder, Niall smiled softly, letting out a yawn of his own as Liam's arm immediately wrapped around him, pulling the two of them closer together.

"At half past five in the morning? We could, yeah. Okay... What ideas did you have in mind, love? Date? Place? Guests? 'Cause my family are off the guest list." Smiling down at Niall, Liam was reminded of the first time they properly sat on the couch together, quizzing each other on themselves, shifting from his position on the couch slightly to allow Niall the space to stretch out, Liam running his fingers through Niall's hair before he leaned down to kiss the younger guy.

Catching Liam's fingers, Niall linked his own through them, stretching up and kissing him back, hesitating  before he said "I have an idea for the when, where and the who.... Today, London somewhere and just us, with maybe Louis and Harry as witnesses. Why wait?" 

"Seriously, Ni?" Staring at Niall, Liam wasn't sure if he'd misheard, blinking a couple of times as Niall's words sunk in.

Nodding, Niall sat up, turning to face Liam and biting his lip as he met the older guys gaze, nodding  again before saying "Seriously. We love each other and we're serious about getting married, so why not today? I don't mind where, or when. I don't mind if it's in a registry office in jeans and a sweater. Unless you don't want to..."

"I want to. Just me and you. None of the fuss, just us and the people who matter." Kissing Niall's cheek, Liam gave him a small grin, nodding as he spoke, taking Niall's hand and gently easing the ring off his finger before holding it up. "So, Niall James Horan, will you marry me today?"

"Yes. Of course I will." Returning Liam's grin, Niall fought the tears threatening to spill as Liam slipped his ring back on, pressing a kiss to the palm of his hand as he did so.

********

"Are you sure, Ni? It's kinda sudden, if I didn't already know, I'd ask if you were pregnant."

Giving his best friend a grin, Louis stood in the doorway, holding Kieran in his arms as he watched Niall tug awkwardly at his clothes, bouncing Kieran up and down as he walked over to Niall, helping him straighten his jumper before giving him a quick hug.

Taking Kieran out of Louis' arms, Niall gave him his standard you're-an-idiot look before he nodded, returning Louis' hug with one of his own. "Funny, Lou. Make fun of the pregnant guy. Yes, I'm sure I want to marry Liam. Today. Positive. I want to do this."

About to speak, Louis was cut off by Zayn appearing in the doorway, looking rushed as he said "He's waiting."

Nodding, Niall let Louis take Kieran back before they followed Zayn, playing with the sleeves of his jumper as he walked towards Liam, giving the older guy a small smile before standing next to him, both of them turning to face the minister as he said "Let us begin. Liam and Niall wish to be joined in matrimony and as long as no one objects, we shall move on. They wish to use their own vows, so Liam, you may speak."

Taking one of the rings they'd picked out on their way too the registry office, Liam took Niall's hand as he turned to look at him. "I've said this before, I know, but I'm going to say it again. We both know how we met was unconventional to say the least, Niall, but I wouldn't change it for the world. I am so grateful we met when we did because if we hadn't, I would never have met someone as amazing as you. I wouldn't have met someone I loved as much and my life wouldn't be worth comparing to what we have. I give you this ring as a symbol of my love and as a promise. I will always be here for you and I will always support you and our family, no matter what. I love you, Niall, and I always will."

Watching as Liam slid the ring onto his finger, Niall held back tears, smiling up at him before presenting a ring of his own. "Li, you were right when you said that everything about us has been unconventional, I'm pretty sure we did everything in the wrong order, we had a baby, fell in love and now we're getting married but you're not alone when you said you wouldn't change it for the world. The last two years have been the best years I've ever shared with anyone, and I love you more then I've ever loved anyone. You look after me and you put up with me when I've had a shitty day and you are the best father to our son that anyone could ask for. You never stop trying to cook, although by thirty four you should really have just accepted that you can't, and you never stop supporting me. I give you this ring to show my commitment to you and as a symbol of my own promise to you. I promise to always care. Whether it's about a batch of pancakes that are only slightly ruined or your job or even the slightest thing that bothers you, I will always care because it's you."

Sliding the ring onto Liam's hand, Niall ignored the tears now rolling down his cheeks, linking his fingers through Liam's before paying attention to what the minister was saying. "By the power invested in me by the city of London, I now pronounce you to be legally married. You may now-"

Leaning down and kissing Niall, Liam cut the minister off, wrapping his arms around the shorter boy and gently  lifting him off of his feet.