Chapter 16

Niall's p.o.v

Looking out of the window, Niall winced as Liam slammed on the brake, swearing as his head hit the back of the seat for the millionth time.

Rubbing the back of his head, he sighed before saying"Jesus Liam, how did you pass your test? You drive way worse than Louis does, and that's saying something. You shouldn't be allowed to drive any car, let alone a Bentley. "

Smirking, Liam shook his head, focusing on the road as he said "I passed my test with flying colours, I'll have you know."

Continuing to stare out of the window, Niall pulled his sweater closer around him as he muttered "I don't see how. Really, I'm beginning to understand why you either take cabs or have a driver. Why are you driving us? If we're only going to your parents house, why do you insist on risking our lives?"

"You'll understand once you've met my parents. Me driving will piss them off. And anyway, I'm not risking our lives, my driving is perfectly safe. It's a three hour drive, we could always pull over if you're not happy." Glancing over at Niall, Liam stuck his tongue out, acting way younger than his age as he spoke.

Sticking his tongue out at Liam, Niall hummed slightly, wrapping his arms around his stomach before he said "Your driving can't be safe, Li. I refuse to believe that. You know, we haven't actually decided a name for him yet. We can't keep calling the baby a him."

"You're right - well, not about my driving, but the baby. We need a name, or at least an idea. Did you have anything specific in mind? Louis and Harry did actually have a couple of decent ideas." Braking again, Liam winced as the car lurched, shaking his head before he spoke.

Looking down at his very noticeable, seven month old baby bump, Niall bit his lip, choking slightly before staring back out of the window as he said "I liked the name Kieran. Kieran James. As it is both our middle name, what do you think?"

"It's not bad. I do like the James part. Louis' suggestion of Aidan wasn't bad, though I was thinking of Oliver or Owen or Matthew. They're all ideas though." Stopping at traffic light, Liam leaned over at kissed Niall, pulling away as the lights changed before he spoke.

Tapping his fingers on the arm rest, Niall smiled at Liam and the list of names, thinking for a second before saying "Owen is quite nice, as is Matthew. Aidan is an idea, also."

*********

"This is where you grew up?"

Standing up awkwardly as Liam helped him out of the car, Niall gazed over the huge Manor House, taking in the massive fence before following Liam towards the door.

Slipping his hand into Liam's, Niall hesitated as they were let in by a maid, slipping his oversized jumper off as he whispered "Your parents live here? You grew up here? Wow, Liam."

"I know, it's a little ....." Seeming unfazed by the size of the building, Liam straightened his tie as he spoke, gesturing with one hand as he led Niall in the direction of what he supposed was the living room.

Holding Liam's hand tighter, Niall frowned as they passed what appeared to be a Monet before saying "Snobby?"

Following a different maid, Liam shook his head, a faint smile appearing on his face as he said "I was going to say ostentatious, but snobby fits just as well."

"If your parents live here, I'm not going to fit in." Gesturing to his maternity jeans as he spoke, Niall's Irish accent seemed more prominent as the two of them were led into what Niall supposed to be the living room, but seemed bigger than their entire flat, probably twice the size of the house he grew up in.

Gazing around the pale room, Liam stared at the marbled flooring, the creme wall paper and the stone fireplace before saying "Looks like they redecorated."

Leaning against Liam, Niall glanced around the room as he asked "What if your parents don't like me?"

"I like you and that's what matters. I've never brought anyone home to my parents before, so they'll either be thrilled or will hate you, but either way, you shouldn't worry." Picking up a vase of flowers, Liam scowled slightly before putting them back, staring out of the window as he spoke.

Looking around, Niall frowned as he noticed the lack of photos, letting go of Liam's hand as he asked "Okay....... You grew up here? You actually grew up here?"

"Not exactly, Ni. I grew up at Colgan school, away from here." Pulling the two of them over to one of the massive couches that dominated the room as he spoke, Liam took a deep breath, trying not to focus on the disproving look crossing the younger guys face as he took Niall's hand, managing to smile before he addressed the person that had just entered. "Mother."

Standing back as Liam stood up, his mother held him at arms length, trying to sound pleased as she said "Liam, darling. It's good to see you."

Helping Niall's stand up, Liam glanced around the room, searching for someone before saying "Mother, this is Niall, my boyfriend. Ni, this is my mother. Will Dad not be joining us?"

Moving somewhat awkwardly, Niall shook her hand, trying not to stare at the massive opal brooch adorning her pale suit as he said "It's nice too meet you, Mrs Payne."

Taking a step backwards, Liam's mother tried to recover her composed appearance as she stared at Niall, blinking before saying "Your father will be here shortly. He was taking a business call. We haven't seen you for a while, Liam. Care to enlighten me on the important things?"

Sitting back down, Liam bit his lip, sounding older that his thirty four years as he exchanged a look with Niall before muttering "Ah. Um. You see, mother, the thing is.... You're going to be a grandparent..."

Opening her mouth to speak, Liam's mother was cut off as a door opened, prompting Liam to stand up as yet another maid followed someone into the room.

"Liam? You should have called to say you were visiting, I'd have sent the driver to fetch you...." Walking over to their group, the guy Niall presumed to be Liam's dad stopped talking as he noticed Niall.

*********

Unlocking Niall's car door, Liam bit back a smile before helping the younger guy out. Sighing as Niall yawned sleepily, stumbling into him, he ended up carrying him into the building.

Nodding a thank you as the doorman helped him with the lift, Liam shifted his weight from one leg to the other as he entered their flat, before making his way to Niall's room, carefully setting him down on his bed before easing off his sneakers. About to leave, Liam turned around as he heard Niall mumble "Stay. Stay here?"

Nodding his head, Liam slipped off his shoes before laying down next to him, his arm slipping around the younger boys waist, his face pressed into Niall's hair.

Certain that Niall was asleep, Liam sat up a little, smiling softly as he whispered "Niall James.... I think... I think I'm in love with you."