Chapter 30

Liam's p.o.v

Struggling with the tray, Liam cursed as Kieran began to wriggle, causing the coffee to spill before he decided to set the tray down, adjusting his grip on Kieran as he opened the bedroom door. Laying Kieran down on the bed next to Niall, Liam bit back a smile as he noticed Niall as still sleeping, adjusting the pile of presents he'd gathered at the foot of their bed and returning for they tray, setting it next to the gifts as Kieran watched on, his brown eyes an exact copy of Liam's own.

Hearing Niall yawn, Liam picked Kieran up, kissing the top of the infants head before sitting next to Niall, letting Kieran wriggle free as he said "Morning."

Forcing his eyes open, Niall yawned again, wincing as what could only be the elbow of small child caught him in the side before he pushed his fringe out of his eyes. Turning to face Liam, Niall scooped Kieran up into his arms before he grinned at the older guy. "I'd say it was a very good morning."

Leaning over and kissing Niall, Liam grinned back at him, reluctantly breaking apart as Kieran tried to push in between them. Still smiling, Liam shifted slightly closer, managing to get a picture of Niall and Kieran before Niall set the seven month old free, both of them watching as Kieran wriggled and tried to pull himself to be sitting up. 

Kissing Niall's cheek, Liam picked up the pile of gifts, spreading them around on the bed as he said "Happy September thirteenth."

Sitting up properly, Niall ran a hand through his hair as he noticed everything Liam had done, smiling up at him before he pointed to the gifts. "Which one can I open first?"

Holding back a laugh, Liam handed him a box, watching as Niall shook it gently, frowning at the rattle it produced before tearing off the paper, gasping as he unearthed a signed first edition of 'To kill a mocking bird'  before leaning across and wrapping his arms around Liam. "You remembered....."

Pulling out of Niall's embrace, Liam looked at the book critically  as he asked "It's okay, yeah? You said it was your favourite book..."

Smiling, Niall set it to the side, out of Kierans reach as kissed Liam before  nodding. "It's great, Li."

Handing Niall another gift, Liam took a sip of coffee as he watched Niall unwrap a camera, smiling as Niall grinned at him and proceeded to unwrap the rest of the gifts, both of them pausing for a minute as Niall pried the top of a box, Liam wrapping an arm around Niall's waist as he unwrapped a mug decorated with Kieran's handprints, the date that they first met and the date of Kieran's birthday. Setting the mug with his book, Niall ran his fingers through Kieran's hair, wiping away the tears that threatened to spill before hiding his face in Liam's chest. "Li........"

Kissing the top of Niall's head, Liam felt his shoulder get slightly damp, causing him wrap his arms around Niall, "Hey..... it's okay, it's just a mug...."

Looking up at Liam, Niall wrapped his fingers around the mug, stroking the little hand prints as he muttered "It's not just a mug, Li... It's amazing. I love it, and I love the two of you."

Nodding, Liam ran his fingers through the little knots in the back of Niall's hair before he leant in and kissed him, wiping away the tears from Niall's cheek before he said "And we love you too. On with the birthday celebrations? I cooked, if you're interested."

Setting the mug back down, Niall nodded, giggling a little at the seriousness in Liam's tone before pulling Kieran closer. "What did you cook then? 'Cause I can't really you ever actually cooking anything....."

Picking the tray up fro where he'd set it, Liam smiled sheepishly as he presented a plat of chocolate chip pancakes, slightly blackened in some places and still runny in others.

Holding back a laugh, Niall picked up a fork and prodded dubiously at the stack of pancakes, grimacing as he took a bite before pushing the plate away. Noticing the disappointed look on Liam's face, he smiled, reaching up to kiss him before he said "You know, Li, why don't we go out for breakfast?"

Taking a bite of the pancakes himself, Liam choked slightly, feeling bad for ever having tried to believe that they would be edible before nodding.

"Sounds like a good plan, my love."

***********

"And what can I get the two - sorry - three of you this morning?"

Smiling at them, the waitress grinned down at Kieran before turning back to Niall and Liam, holding her notepad out as Niall went first.

Sharing a look with Liam, he ran a hand through Kieran's hair, pulling a sugar packet out of the baby's grasp before saying  "Umm, a mug of black coffee and a serving of  chocolate chip pancakes, please."

Nodding, Liam smiled up at the waitress as he said "The same here, thanks."

Grinning at Liam, Niall leaned across the table, linking their fingers together before his expression turned serious. Pulling another packet out of Kieran's grip,   he looked away before saying "Thank you, Li."

"For what?" Letting go of Niall's hand, Liam pushed part of Niall's hair out of his face as he spoke,  pulling a face at Kieran before pulling a sippy cup out of the bag hey'd brought a long and set it in from of him.

"For making today perfect." Reaching up and kissing Liam's cheek, Niall smiled again as he looked up at him.

Laughing, Liam seemed far younger than thirty five  as he smirked. "Perfect's a bit of a high standard, isn't it? It's only ten, Ni, there's still all day. And you're forgetting my atrocious attempt at pancakes."

Smiling again, Niall giggled as he said "I don't think I'll  ever forget your attempt at pancakes."

Glancing around, Liam bit back a protest before kissing Niall, pulling back as the waitress approached, grinning at Niall as she set two plates of perfectly cooked pancakes in front them. Taking a bite out of his, Niall looked up, smirking at Liam before he said "If there's still all day, what else do you have planned?"

"You'll just have to wait and see, Ni." Grinning back at him, Liam shushed Kieran, watching as he picked up his cup, banging it on the table, giggling as he made the toys scattered on them high chair tray bounce, taking the cup away from him before turning his attention back to Niall, already knowing the answer as he asked "Are these pancakes better than mine?"

Shaking his head, Niall bit back a laugh as he murmured "No. Nothing can beat the masterpiece that is your cooking."

Kissing Niall again, Liam pushed away the rest of his pancakes before smiling again, mentally trying to figure out when he'd last put so much effort into a single day when he noticed the waitress hovering around, gesturing for the check. Settling the bill, Liam held his hand out, linking fingers with Niall as they settled Kieran back into his stroller before they left.

********

Laughing as Liam managed to pick him up, wrapping his arms around his waist and lifting him up, Niall looped his arm around Liam neck, hiding his face in the crook of the older guys neck as he mumbled  "Thank you, Li, you made today perfect."

"I'm glad I managed to get it right, Ni, Happy birthday." Kissing Niall, Liam grinned up  at him, managing to keep him in his arms and push Kieran's stroller at the same time as they made their way down the corridor.

Giggling as Liam parked Kieran's stroller and leaned up to kiss him, Niall ran his fingers through his hair before he leaned into kiss Liam again, both of the stopping as they noticed the tear stained wreck sat slumped by their front door.

Setting Niall on the floor, Liam realised it was Louis as he nodded at Niall, opening the door as he watched Niall help Louis up and wrap his arms around his best friend, not minding as tears dripped onto his shoulder.

Sighing, Liam, pushed the stroller inside, picking Kieran up and holding him out of Louis' view when he caught the look of heartbreak flash across his face.