Chapter 15

Liam's p.o.v

"So who exactly is Harry?"

Nodding at the waiter, Liam loosened his tie before turning to face Niall, looking nervous as he saw Louis and some stranger approaching their table.

Smiling at his best friend, Niall sighed at Liam before saying "I already told you. Harry is a psychology major who works at the coffee shop on campus, who Louis has been infatuated with since he started his degree. Harry asked him out after they both graduated. Be nice, please."

About to reply, Liam opened his mouth, only to shut it as Louis and the curly haired stranger sat opposite them, wincing as Louis started speaking at a hundred miles per hour, most of it directed at Niall before nodding at Harry.

Shaking Liam's hand, Harry coughed before he said "Ummm, you must be Liam. I'm Harry."

Nodding, Liam glanced at his watch as he muttered "Hi."

Shrugging his shoulders, Liam pulled out his blackberry, starting to write out an email as Niall elbowed him in the rib. Looking across at Niall then back to Harry, Liam sighed in the manner of a child before bothering to speak. Taking in Harrys skinny jeans, plaid shirt and cardigan, Liam took a sip of his drink before asking " Did you catch the game last night?"

Seeming as uncomfortable as Liam, Harry looked at his boyfriend, trying to mentally ask for advice as he said "Umm.... No. I'm not really one for sports."

Rolling his eyes, Liam sighed before muttering "Of course you're not."

"Louis told me you work in publishing..." Shifting in his seat awkwardly, Harry glanced towards his boyfriend, who was still chatting with Niall, oblivious to their struggle, as he spoke, letting out a minuscule sigh as Louis motioned for him to continue.

Trying not to yawn, Liam glanced over at the waiter as he said "My company is currently involved in publishing, though we do take part in other enterprises."

Raising an eyebrow, Harry snorted, unaware that Niall and Louis had stopped talking as he smirked. "Your company? You don't own it, though. I'm guessing you mean the company you work for?"

Ignoring the look on Nialls face, clearly telling Liam not be an ass, Liam took a sip of his drink before saying "I work for Payne Inc. My last name is Payne. I am my own boss, I own the company I work for, therefore, I think, it is my company, Harry. But still. I could be mistaken. Niall tells me you majored in psychology?'

Wrapping an arm around Louis' waist, Harry bit his lip as he said "I did."

Kicking Liam under the table, Niall sent Louis a look before saying "So, Haz, Lou tells me you're going to start up your own office, and since you were a psychology major.. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say you want to be a psychologist."

"I do." Frowning at Liam, Harry looked around the restaurant as he spoke, ignoring the derisive snort from Liam before he continued. "I've always wanted to be a psychologist and it's my chance to help people. Although when I was younger, I wanted to be a musician."

***********

As the last of their group cleared their plate, Liam sighed as he noticed Louis turn to face them, an evil glint in his eye as he said "So..... what have the two of you decided to name my godson?"

Linking fingers with Niall under the table, Liam sounded older than his age as he said "Like a lot of things, we hadn't really discussed what we are going to name our son."

"As I had a few ideas for names. Hazza had an idea too." Acting like no one had spoken, Louis grinned as he spoke, sitting up at the restaurant table like he was in a meeting, obviously on a roll.

"My idea for a boy was Aidan. Or Michael. Or Louis. Obviously, Niall, you just have to make his middle name James, just like the two of you. Hazza's idea for a boy or girl was Rian. Oh can't you picture it now, me and my nephew, at the park or the cinema ....."

Leaning over to Niall, Liam adjusted his shirt collar as he muttered "Is it just me, or has Louis been over thinking this? I mean, I know he's your best friend and he tolerates me, but... Who said he could be the baby's godfather?"

Smiling, Niall bit his lip before he whispered "I learned a long time ago that when it comes to Louis, you go with it. And I did technically say that he could be a godparent."

Gesturing for the bill, Liam nodded as Harry pulled Louis away, helping Niall with his coat as he said "As crazy as your best friend is, he has a point. We've got two to three months before he comes and we need to choose a name. Or get some ideas, at least."

***********

"Why did you have to be such an ass to Harry?"

Sat opposite Liam in their kitchen, Niall set his ice cream carton down as he stared at the older guy, clearly disproving of Liam and Harry's pissing contest.

Looking up from his paperwork, Liam blinked as he said "What? When was I an ass?"

Dropping his spoon, Niall sighed, rubbing his back as he said "The whole time we were having dinner. Tonight was the one opportunity for Louis and Harry to meet the real you, the actual Liam Payne, and you go and act all mature and CEO of your own company-y and put him down. Asking about sports? Really? Even to you, it was obvious that Harry didn't play or take any interest in sports. The minute you see him it's obvious. Why couldn't you be nice? For once?"

Raising an eyebrow, Liam ran a hand through his hair as he muttered "I am nice!"

"Not all the time. You were an ass the first time we had a sober conversation. You were an ass when you first met Lou. The only people your nice to is me and Zayn." Retrieving another carton of ice cream from the freezer, Niall walked around as he spoke, wincing as he knocked into one of the many sharp edges. "Stupid worktop. Damn you."

Pouting slightly, Liam pushed his paper work to one side, pulling out a stool and gesturing for Niall to sit before saying "Don't insult the kitchen. It didn't do anything, cursing it won't help. Um, I was nice to your mother when I first met her. And I'm nice to the people who work for me."

Dropping his ice cream carton, Niall sat down, one arm instantly wrapping around his stomach as he said "Those people don't count. All but one are paid by you and my mother adored you. Why can't you try to be nice? Make friends?"

"I only have one friend, and that's Zayn. And you know why? Because I generally don't like people. Especially twenty four year old hipsters who try to belittle me." Going back to his paperwork, Liam removed his tie before tapping his pen agains the marble worktop, trying to look focused as he spoke.

Resting his head against Liam's shoulder, Niall frowned as he said "Am I not a friend?"

Putting his pen back down, Liam ran a hand through his hair, not looking at Niall as he said "I know we don't really have a label on what our relationship is at the moment, but Niall, I would really like to consider you more that just a friend."

"What do you mean?" Lifting Liam's chin up, Niall looked him, focusing on the exact chocolate shade of brown the older guys eyes were as he spoke.

Sighing, Liam fought to look away before saying "I mean, Niall, would you be opposed to officially becoming my boyfriend? I know you didn't want to put a label on us, but......."

Leaning towards the older guy, Niall smiled before he said "I'd love to officially become your boyfriend."