Chapter 24

Niall/Liam's p.o.v

"Liam! We cannot believe it. Mummy and Daddy are saying you've gotten some strange student pregnant - and that you're gay! - we didn't believe it, but then the maids confirmed - who in the name of Prada are you?"

"Who are you? Where's Liam? He does still live here, right?"

Standing in the doorway to their apartment, Niall tried not to visibly yawn as the two impossibly tall, impeccably dressed and dangerously over caffeinated girls stood on the other side of the threshold began to chatter, oblivious to the look on his face.

Cutting the two of them off as they began to burble again, Niall sighed, glancing back towards Liam's study before he dared to ask, "Who the hell are you two and why in God's name are you stood on my doorstep at half past six in the morning?"

Stepping forward, the taller, blonder of the two girls looked down at him, wrinkling her nose at Niall as she took in his messy bed hair and the oversize shirt of Liam's he'd pulled off the floor and thrown over his sleep shorts when he went to answer the door, before she said, "We're looking for Liam. Our brother? He does still live here, doesn't he? Mummy and Daddy didn't say he'd moved."

Channeling his inner Louis, Niall counted to ten, resisting the urge to flip tall, blonde snob no. 1 off before he took a deep breath and said, "Liam does still live here, he's in his study. Can I ask who you are, or shall I tell him that Brittany and Tiffany Wilson called by?"

Rolling her eyes at him, tall, blonde snob no. 2 was about to answer when the very guy they were looking for stepped out of his study and noticed who Niall was talking to. Adjusting the sweater and jeans he was wearing, Liam moved over to the doorway, briefly squeezing Niall's hand before letting the two girls into the flat. "Ruth, Nicola, what the hell are you doing here?"

Letting herself into their kitchen and rummaging through the fridge, tall, blonde snob no. 1 pulled out a bottle of Niall's red berry smoothie as she pouted, not liking the manner with which she was being spoken to. "Nic and I, we wanted to see if Mummy and Daddy were telling the truth. Where is she, this twenty year old student, then? And who's the leprechaun?"

Pulling tall, blonde snob no. 2, who Niall presumed to Nicola, over to the kitchen, Liam took the unopened bottle of smoothie out of tall, blonde snob no. 1's hand, who, presumably, would be Ruth, before he said, "The story's not quite how you were told. There's no she and they weren't a student - the person in question is twenty three and had been finished with university for two years when I met them. And, if I were you, I wouldn't call Ni a leprechaun."

"So who are they then, if there's no she?" Grabbing a glass off of the side, Nicola poured herself some water out of the jug in the fridge as she stared at her brother, both her and Ruth ignoring Liam's comment about the strange guy, not understanding what her brother meant until Liam muttered, "A guy, Nic, I got a guy pregnant."

Sitting down at the breakfast bar, Ruth shared a look with her sister as she asked, "Hang on, you got a guy pregnant? How? Who? How - you aren't gay, Liam, you were dating that dancer girl mummy set you up with."

Watching as Liam's sisters tried to regain control over the muscles that co trolled their face, Niall smirked as Liam sighed. "I'm bi, not that it's any of your business. As for the how, I'm gonna tell you what I said to dad - I don't think you really want all the details."

Pouring herself a glass to match her sisters, Ruth glared at the smirk on Niall's face as she held her hands up. "Okay, okay, okay. Maybe we don't want all the details. But who is it?"

Walking over to Niall, Liam kissed his cheek before he shrugged. "Ruth, you've already met him."

Both of their jaws dropping again, Ruth and Nicola stared at Niall, not quite able to comprehend what Liam had told them, as they slumped over the breakfast bar. Managing to look up, Nicola sounded doubtful as she pointed out, "But he isn't pregnant."

Snorting at how ridiculous Liam's sister managed to sound, Niall hid his face in Liam's neck before he glared at her, wrapping his arms around his stomach as he said, "I have a name, you know. Not just 'He'. But if you were expecting me to be pregnant, you're about five months too late."

Looking up, Ruth shrugged at her sister before she asked, "If that was five months ago, where is our little niece? Mummy was debating whether to come with us, she would probably like a photo of her."

Squeezing Niall's hand again, Liam frowned at his sisters before he moved into the kitchen, pulling out a seat for Niall and another for himself as he said "Kieran, your nephew, is still in the hospital. There were... Complications when he was born and he's still in there." Looking away for a minute, Liam linked his fingers through Niall's, kissing his cheek before he continued. "Niall and I would appreciate it if you would tell mum that she'd be welcome to have a picture of Kieran if she came to visit him herself."

Answering Niall's questioning glare with a halfhearted shrug, Liam almost wished he could take words back as he pictured his mother standing in Kieran's room at the NICU, shaking his head a couple of times before he added, "If you wanted to visit, you could come with the two of us later."

***********

Hiding his head in Liam's shoulder as he stifled a yawn, Niall glanced around the restaurant Liam's sisters had dragged them too, feeling out of place in the jeans and sweatshirt he'd borrowed from Liam, trying not to fall asleep as Ruth went on and on about some guy she'd met at her parents' last charity ball.

Raising an eyebrow as Niall hid his face in his sleeve, Liam smirked slightly as he asked, "Hey, are you alright?"

Shaking his head, Niall yawned again as he tried to glare at Liam, looking away as he muttered, "Do all the people you know visit you so early?"

Smirking again at Niall's expression, Liam shrugged. "What do you mean?"

Tuning out of Ruth's story completely, Niall took a sip of Liam's coffee, wrinkling his nose at it before he said, "Take Zayn, for instance. When I first met him, he was knocking at your door at six in the morning. Your sisters were there at barely six thirty. What is it with you people and the early hours of the morning?"

Prising his coffee out of Niall's grip, Liam shifted in his seat, glancing around to see if his sister had noticed that they weren't listening before saying, "Zayn's always been like that. When we first met at Eton, he would always be the first one up out of the dormitory. As for my sisters, that's a result of enforced family breakfasts at home during the school holidays. Breakfasts would be at six so we could eat with my dad and if you were late, you were forced to eat cold Eggs Benedict or whatever it was, with the maids under orders not to reheat it, or bring you anything else. Those breakfast were like torture."

Raising an eyebrow, Niall pulled the sleeve of his sweatshirt further over his wrists, stretching the sleeves put as he tried to look sympathetic. "Aw... poor you Li, forced to sit there whilst other people cooked for you. I almost felt bad for you until you started talking about the maids."

Rolling his eyes at the younger guy, Liam was about to speak when Niall said, "I still can't believe that you aren't just rich, you're snobby, upper class, private education, trust fund rich."

Sounding younger than his age, Liam stood up, laughing at the defiant expression on Niall's face before he said, "Well at least I know you don't love me for my money."

______________________________________

I wasn't planning on bringing Liam's sisters into this story - I mean no offence for how they're portrayed, their characters just fit my story better like that - but it kinda happened.