Chapter 51

Niall's p.o.v

"You're late."

Looking up from his phone, Niall shifted in his seat, glaring at Liam as he entered the now empty waiting room. "Our appointment was an hour ago, you know."

Running a hand through his hair, Liam didn't need to look at Niall to know he was pissed, keeping his gaze on the ground as he made his way over to where Niall was sat. Sitting in the chair opposite him, Liam loosened his tie before finally meeting his husbands gaze. "I know. I'm sorry. The meeting ran over and I couldn't let Zayn handle this one."

Shaking his head at Liam's excuse, Niall kept his gaze fixed on Liam, wrapping his arms around himself, fighting to keep his tone calm as he said "You could have called. Or had your assistant call. I've been waiting here for over an hour. Not the first time I've waited here for you, though."

"Again, I'm sorry. Did we miss the appointment, or did you go in with out me?" Leaning over and linking his fingers through Niall's, Liam winced slightly as he was reminded of the early chapters of their relationship, swallowing down a retort of his own before asking again. "Have you already been seen or is it too late?"

Shaking his head, Niall was about to speak when a nurse came through, frowning at them both and folding her arms as she said "Mr Payne was insistent on waiting for you to arrive. The doctor has been waiting and will see you now."

Standing up, Niall headed after the nurse, leaving Liam momentarily sat there, staring after him before he stood up, shaking his head as he followed after them.

Sitting as instructed, Niall ignored Liam as he sat next to him, playing with the sleeves on his jumper before looking up at the doctor as she said "From your notes, you should be about five and a half months along, at your last appointment, we couldn't tell what the gender was due to position of the foetus, but today, hopefully, we should be able to confirm it for you guys. How do you feel?"

"I'm okay, actually. Not as uncomfortable as I was with Kieran. Also, I'm less nauseous than last time. The mood swings, I guess, are worse though." Nodding at Niall, the doctor scribbled something in his notes as he spoke, raising an eyebrow as Liam let out what sounded like a barely contained snort of laughter before she turned back to Niall. "Okay.... The lack of nausea and fatigue is a good sign, you're well into your second trimester by now, and as for the mood swings, the hormone pills you currently take probably don't help, we'll see about a new prescription. If you want to lift your shirt, we can do the ultrasound now..."

Shifting, Niall complied, lifting his jumper up and wincing as he felt just how cold the gel was, still ignoring Liam as he glanced at the screen, nodding as the doctor gestured at the monitor, saying "I'd say your notes are right with five and a half months, the baby looks fine and I can tell you the gender......"

Smiling as both Niall and Liam nodded, the doctor highlighted a certain part of the screen before she said "You might need to go shopping for some pink onesies, you're having a girl.... Congratulations." 

Not taking his eyes of the screen, Liam smiled, running a hand through his hair as he muttered "Naomi."

Glancing over at Liam, Niall couldn't help but return his smile, reaching over and taking his hand before asking "Naomi?"

"It's nothing. Tell you later." Intertwining their fingers, Liam ignored the questioning look on Niall's face and kissed his cheek, picturing a little girl with blue eyes the colour of Niall's as he said "A girl, Ni. Kieran's gonna have a little sister..."

********

Looking across at Liam, Niall glanced at his bedside clock, wishing it wasn't actually half past three in the morning as he felt the baby kick, resting his hand on his stomach and feeling the baby move again before he sighed.

Shifting closer to Liam, Niall sat up, flicking on the bedside lamp and hearing Liam let out a soft groan before he asked "Li? Are you awake?"

Forcing his eyes open, Liam winced as his eyes adjusted to the light, sitting up and holding back a string of swear words as he stared at Niall. "I am now. What's wrong?"

"She won't stop moving. It's nothing, really. I just couldn't sleep." Shifting closer to Liam, Niall rested his head against his bare shoulder, smiling a little at Liam's attempt at masking his annoyance, the older guy using the well rehearsed tone he tended to use on clients as he said "Anything in particular keeping you awake?"

"Not really..." Momentarily closing his eyes, Niall shifted closer into Liam's side, smiling again as Liam's arm wrapped around him,  his fingers gently tracing over Niall's stretch marks. Catching Liam's fingers with his own, Niall yawned, his bout of insomnia fading, thinking about how her behaved towards Liam earlier and hesitating a moment before he said "A couple of things actually. I'm sorry I was such a bitch to you earlier, you couldn't help it if your meeting over ran. I'm sorry. Also, you said Naomi. Earlier, at the doctors. When we found out the gender. Why Naomi?"

"You don't need to apologise. I should have called or I could have rescheduled. I'm sorry I was late, Ni.... As for Naomi, it's an idea I had. As a name for her. It's not quite the feminine form of Niall, which is Niamh, but it's close. It was just an idea, love." Pulling his fingers free from Niall's grip, Liam went back to tracing Niall's skin, running his fingers over the stretch marks that covered his skin before he leaned down and kissed Niall softly, letting his eyes meet Niall's blue ones as they pulled apart.

"Naomi. I like it. Naomi and Kieran. It's perfect." Fighting another yawn, Niall curled an arm around his stomach, feeling the baby move again and seeing Liam notice too, his fingers still tracing over his skin, before he said "What about middle name? I was thinking of something beginning with a J. Kind of a pattern... To match the rest of us. You know, Liam James, Kieran James, Naomi something. Something like Jamie or Julia."

Shifting so they were both laying down, Liam nodded, stretching over and flicking the light off, resting his head against Niall's and smiling slightly as Niall yawned again, pressing a kiss to his forehead before saying "I like Julia. Naomi Julia. You're right, it's perfect, Ni."