Chapter 25

Liam's p.o.v

"He's so small, Ni, just look at him."

Gently laying the baby back in the crib, Liam fingered the soft material of the pale blue onesie - the same one Niall had originally chosen - for a few seconds before turning back to face Niall.

Raising an eyebrow at the puppy dog expression on the thirty four year olds face, Niall sighed, running a hand over the side of the incubator as he said, "Aren't all babies meant to be small, Li?"

Shrugging, Liam smiled softly as the baby wrapped his fist around his fingers, squeezing Niall's hand with his other before saying, "They are, but Kieran's five months old and yet he's smaller than most newborns."

Not answering him, Niall pulled his hand out of Liam's grip, shrugging slightly at the questions look on the older guys face as he took another photo of their son, this time focusing on the way his little fingers wrapped around Liam's thumb, managing to get the picture before the baby released his grip.

Picking up Kieran, Niall placed one hand beneath the baby's head, swaying from side to side as he held him properly for the first time, saying something inaudible before looking up at Liam. "Hmm."

Smiling at the sight of the two of them, Liam rolled his jumper sleeves up as he asked, "Hmm?"

"I don't think I want him to grow any bigger." Adjusting the way he held Kieran, Niall looked up at Liam as he spoke, meaning what he said as he felt a horrible pang of worry. "What if he grows up too fast, Li? One minute he's this tiny little baby we're only allowed to look at and the next he's going off to university. What if that happens?"

Gently leading Niall over to a seat, Liam sat down next to him, wrapping an arm around his waist. "That's not going to happen Ni. Trust me. It'll be years before we even have to think about university."

Leaning into Liam's embrace, Niall leant his head against the taller guys shoulder, focusing his attention on Kieran and the way his big, brown eyes seem to follow his gaze before he dared to speak, "Really? You really think so."

Kissing Niall's cheek, Liam leant his head against Niall's, gazing down at their son as he said, "Really. It's gonna be years before we have to worry about that. Just look at him, Ni. He's perfect."

"And he's finally in perfect health." Interrupting their little moment, yet another new doctor came walking into what had been Kieran's room at the NICU, glancing down at a pile of charts and data before she said, "After five months, Kieran is finally able to go home."

Both of them looking up, Niall and Liam stared at the doctor, Niall tightening his grip on Kieran, trying to keep the disbelief out of his voice as he asked, "Really? Today? We've only just been allowed to hold him and we can take him home?"

Coughing awkwardly, the doctor glanced back down at the pile of data in her hands before she frowned slightly. "Well... not today, but yes. We want to keep Kieran in for a couple of days just to take some scans and arrange for his files to be sent to your paediatrician but by Friday, yes. You should be able to take Kieran home."

Kissing Niall's cheek as the doctor turned and left, Liam smiled as he watched Niall begin to rock Kieran in his arms before he said, "Roll on Friday."

***********

Running a hand through his hair, Niall bit his lip as he picked up the small bag of baby supplies, glancing towards the clock again. Opening the bag back up, he began to check the number of nappies, spare pacifiers and bottle of formula as he asked, "Do you have the car seat? We'll need it if we're going to take him home in your car - do you think public transport is too dangerous for Kieran right now? Can we take him by taxi, do you reckon? - is it in the car?"

Sighing, Liam drained his coffee mug, muttering something to himself as he turned to face the younger guy, wrapping arm around Niall's waist and kissing his cheek before he said, "It's by the door, I'll put it in the car befoe we leave. Would you calm down, Ni? There's still half an hour before we can leave for the hospital..."

Pulling away from Liam's grip, Niall re-zipped the bag of supplies and set it down, collapsing into a seat at the breakfast bar. "I know but everything has to be right, Li, Kieran's finally allowed home and it just-"

"Just wouldn't be right? I know how important - and amazing - today is, but you can't run yourself ragged over the small things. Today will be perfect because we finally get to bring our little boy home from the hospital, not because we had the right number of nappies and spare outfits." Sitting down next to him, Liam pulled at the sleeves of his sweater as he spoke, taking the opportunity to, once again, notice the natural brown tint to Niall's hair as he watched him lay his head against the cool marble worktop.

****

"I thought you said the carseat was by the door?"

Following Liam out of the flat, Niall stopped as he noticed the hideous green contraption stood proudly by the doorway, picking it up as he turned to glare at Liam.

Holding the door open, Liam shrugged at Niall's glare, not seeing the problem as he said "It is by the door. That's the carseat my sisters bought for us."

Still scowling, Niall turned and aimed his glare at the offending seat as he asked "What's wrong with the one that we picked out? I thought we chose a nice, colour neutral one with beige padding?"

Propelling Niall out of the door, Liam linked his fingers through Niall's, half pulling him towards the lift before he answered his question. "We did, but this one fits into the car better than the one we picked out. It's not really a problem, is it Ni? C'mon, we don't want to keep him waiting, do we?"

Casting the carseat one last glare, Niall sighed before saying, "I guess it's not... Though the colour."

"I know."

*******

"Mr Payne, Mr Horan, before you take Kieran home, may I have a word?"

Meeting the two of them in the corridor outside the NICU, the doctor they first saw about Kieran motioned towards his office as he continued speaking. "It's great that Kieran is finally able to leave, however we've come across a couple of concerns."

Stepping backwards, Niall leaned into Liam's side, frowning as he said, "Concerns?"

"Nothing that will prevent him from leaving today. We're simply a little concerned about his heart problems." Shaking his head, the doctor sighed before pulling out a pile of folders. "The defect - the hole in his heart - had closed up by itself however, now, we're a little concerned. You can take him home but we'd like to schedule a follow up appointment every week."

Nodding, Niall clutched Liam's hand, staring at the floor and trying to keep his expression neutral as Liam asked, "But he's okay?"

"The defect doesn't seem to be dangerous for him. Right now, the best thing for your son is to go home. He's been waiting for you." Smiling slightly, the doctor began to lead them to Kieran's cot, the incubator having long since been replaced as he not only out grew it, but his health improved.

Leaning over the edge of the cot, Niall smiled properly for the first time in months as Kieran opened his eyes and began to gurgle. Picking him up, Niall smiled as Liam placed a hand round his waist before he said, "Let's get you home, shall we?"