Chapter 22

Niall's p.o.v

Standing beside his best friend, Niall had to take a deep breath, reminding himself not to ruin Louis' mood as he watched him coo over his godson, poking at the baby with his fingers, regardless of the wires coming in and out of the incubator.

Cooing as the baby grabbed onto his finger, Louis practically melted as he said "He is so cute, Ni. Who knew Liam's genes could result in someone so adorable?"

Shaking his head the snide comment, Niall eased himself into one of the chairs surrounding the incubator, staring at one of the monitors before saying "Lou.... not here. Please? Liam isn't a monster...."

Holding his hands up, Louis nodded wordlessly as he sat in the chair next to him, taking some photos of Kieran as he asked "How is he doing? Kieran, I mean. When are you allowed to take him home?"

Shrugging wordlessly, Niall looked away from his friend and focused on the incubator again.

"That good, huh?"

Sighing, Niall nodded before turning back to watching Kieran, his hands clasped together as he watched the monitors, oblivious to the questioning looks his best friend was shooting him. Shrugging off the hand Louis placed ok his arm, Niall sighed once more before he said "That good. God........They were weaning him off the ventilator, trying to test his lungs and see if he could breathe on his own until three days ago when he caught an infection. There were plans that we could take him home soon, but now......."

"Oh, Ni....." Wrapping an arm around his best friend, Louis bit his lip as he glanced towards the incubator, properly noticing the amount of wired and machines the baby was hooked up to for the first time.

Pulling away from Louis' embrace, Niall set his jaw, frowning as he said "Exactly. And Liam isn't himself anymore. He's reverting back to how he was when I first met him."

Muttering something that sounded like "Rat bastard, of course he is.", Louis took a couple more pictures of his godson before saying "You don't have to stay with him, you know. Just because you have Kieran, it doesn't mean you two have to be a couple."

"Lou..... We are not going through this again. Not here."

"Why? What on earth compels you to stay with him?" Shaking his head, Louis raised an eyebrow at his friend as he spoke.

Sighing, Niall ran a hand through his hair, resting one hand against the incubator, cursing as he said "I choose to stay with Li because there is something between us, okay? Yes, technically, we haven't said those three little words yet but it isn't just Kieran keeping me at that flat. Liam might be eleven years older than me or any of my exes, but he can be funny and sweet and he is trying. Now can you please, for gods sake, just drop whatever grudge you have against him?"

"Okay..... Sorry, Ni. I'll shut up about the cradle- I mean Liam." Sounding surprised, Louis fell silent as he stared at his best friend, opening his mouth as if to say something before closing it again. Shifting in his seat, Louis squeezed Niall's shoulder before standing up.

Glancing up as Louis left, Niall bit back a sigh as a nurse immediately came through, looking on as she began her now regular routine of checking the various equipment and monitors hooked up to the incubator, wincing as she pulled out a couple of wires from various machines before turning his attention back to Kieran.

**************

Snapping awake, Niall shot upright, blinking as Liam sat in the hospital chair next to his before muttering "Hey.... I thought you were at a meeting until eight."

"I was. I went home after but you weren't there. I figured you'd either be here or at Louis' place. Evidently I was right with my first guess." Removing his suit jacket, Liam placed his hand inside the incubator, playing with the name tag attached to the baby's wrist as he spoke.

Stifling a yawn, Niall glanced at monitor, leaning forward as the display changed before snapping "Where else would I be?"

Realising how unfair that sounded, he sighed before he said "Sorry... that was uncalled for. Louis came for a while as well. I've had a long day."

"It's fine Ni, I get it... How's Kieran? What did the doctor say?" Shaking his head, Liam smiled softly at they younger guy as he spoke, glancing around the now empty NICU before turning his attention back to Niall.

Taking Liam's hand, Niall linked his fingers with Liam's before saying "They moved him back onto the ventilator and he's back to being tube fed....... On the bright side he's getting better at regulating his own body temperature and his kidneys are developing properly after the surgery......"

Nodding, Liam squeezed Niall's fingers lighlty before kissing his cheek."That's not all bad, I suppose..... How's Louis? Still not my biggest fan?"

"Louis is his typical self... He did only try to insult you once today, though. Apparently Harry's going back to school to do yet another course. A beginners course in Exobiology or something, Louis said..." Closing his eyes, Niall leaned against Liam's shoulder, returning his smile before he continued. "Louis called my mother and updated her on things..... She's coming here to visit for awhile, her plane gets here next Thursday, by the way...... Said she would have been here sooner but my brother supposedly needed her in Ireland more."

Choking on the mouthful of coffee he'd just taken, Liam sat up, knocking Niall's head off his shoulder as he asked "Your mother, the same woman who barged into my...our apartment, is coming? Here?"

Sitting up in his seat, Niall took a sip of Liam's coffee, wincing at the taste, before he said "Yep. Said she wants to meet her new grandson before it's too late......."

Both of them growing silent as they appreciated Maura's choice of words before standing up, Niall reting his head against the glass of the incubator beore taking Liam'sand following him out of the room, both of them csting another glance back towards Kieran before they left for the night.