Chapter 18

Louis' p.o.v

Wrapping an arm around his best friend, Louis pulled Niall in for a hug, not caring as his best friends tears stained his brand new tee shirt, sighing as he hear Niall whimper slightly, feeling bad for his friend as he watched the doctor type away at her computer.

Pulling away, he sighed as Niall walked out of the waiting room, deliberating for a second before scooping up the latest sonogram picture, nodding at the doctor before running after his best friend.

Following Niall back into the waiting area, Louis stopped suddenly as he noticed Liam, the older guy seemingly bored, looking down at his phone before realising Niall was heading towards him, looking, Louis thought, as out of place in the shabby waiting room as a purple unicorn would at a funeral.

Standing back, Louis looked on awkwardly, frowning as he watched Liam notice the frown on Niall's face, the older guy immediately enveloping his best friend in a hug before wiping Niall's tears away and sitting down next to him.

Walking over to the two of them, Louis cleared his throat as he sat in one of the plastic chairs, nodding a greeting at Liam before running a hand through the pink streak in his hair.

Watching as Liam held Niall's hand, the older guy still attempting to comfort him, he raised an eyebrow at the look of confusion on Liam's face, before gesturing to his hair, muttering "It's a long story.... How are you here? Ni said you had an important meeting about Bolivia, and couldn't make it."

Kissing Niall's cheek, Liam, for the first time, glanced at Louis' hair, shaking his head before looking back at Niall. "It was about Greece, actually. Why in Gods name is Niall crying? What did I miss? Is it something with the baby?"

Handing over the crumpled sonogram, Louis glanced over at his best friend, looking down at the floor before he said "So...... the doctor said...... basically, Niall caught an infection - when he had that cold a few months ago - and the baby's organs aren't... aren't developing properly as a result."

Taking a deep breath, Louis shook his head, looking away from the floor, sounding way older than twenty three as he continued "There's a fifty percent chance that he, the baby won't survive labour, and if he does, the baby will still have a heart defect that might require surgery and ... well, you get it."

Wrapping an arm around Niall's waist, Liam stood up, following Louis out of the room, frowning at the picture Louis' had given him before he muttered "No.... Are you serious? Fuck.... Oh God...."

"Exactly." Playing with his coat, Louis ran a hand through the pink streak in his hair, squinting in the sadly sobering sunlight before sighing as Liam opened Niall's car door, muttering something to the younger guy before shutting the car door.

Getting into his own, much smaller car, Louis sighed as Liam finally asked "What the hell happened to your hair?'

______________________________________

Niall/Liam's p.o.v

Resting his head on Liam's shoulder, Niall leaned against the back of the sofa, closing his eyes as he inhaled Liam's familiar scent, cologne, mint and something he couldn't quite put his finger on, before  he muttered "Liam? What are we gonna do?"

Sitting up, Liam paused the tv, loosening his tie before sighing. Running a hand through his hair, he bit his lip, looking older than his age before saying "I'm not sure. It'll be okay, though, I promise you."

Playing with his jumper sleeves, Niall looked up at Liam as he mumbled "But what if it isn't? We've technically known each other for seven and a half months,and we've properly known each other for five months. What if things aren't?"

"Then we cross that bridge when we come to it." Kissing Niall's cheek, Liam took his hand, matching the younger guys intense blue gaze as he spoke, before standing up, heading into the room they'd designated as the nursery, rifling through the many bags of baby clothes yet to be put away before coming back into the lounge, clutching the pale blue onesie Niall had fallen in love with when they originally went shopping.

Taking the onesie out of Liam's hand, Niall rubbed the soft material against his face, sniffing slightly before he started to say "But, what if-"

"Don't. Going down the hole of what ifs, isn't good. And if this is going to turn into yet another rehashing of the 'we-wouldn't-still-be-here-if-that-condom-hadn't-broke' argument, then I dont want to hear it. I lo- I really like you, really, really like you, and that isn't going to change anytime soon, no matter what the doctor says." Sitting next to Niall, Liam nearly kicked himself as he spoke, stumbling over the L-word before fiddling with his shirt sleeves, not meeting NIall's gaze.

"Ok. You're right. What if's aren't helpful...... I really like you too, you know. I know it doesn't seem like it at times, and I've been kinda..... You know, but I do." Still occupied with the onesie, Niall pretended not to notice Liam's slip up, wrapping an arm around his stomach as he sighed, leaning back into the older guy.

Smiling, Liam brushed Nialls hair away from his eyes before saying "It's your hormones, Ni. It's okay, really."

Leaning up so he was the same height as Liam, Niall smirked, smiling for the first time since their trip to the doctors, before asking "Can I try something?....."

Not bothering to reply, Liam leaned forward and kissed him, deepening the kiss before wrapping an arm around NIall's waist, manoeuvring them so Niall was on top before pulling back, smirking as he said "You don't have to ask........" before kissing him again.