Chapter 47

Niall's p.o.v

Sitting at the breakfast bar, Niall slumped over, resting his head against the marble worktop before looking back at the mug set in front of him. Glaring at the mug, Niall hesitantly took a sip, wrinkling his nose at the taste of green tea and pushing it away, willing the sudden onset of nausea to go away before he ran towards the bathroom.

Slamming the bathroom door behind him, Niall left the bathroom, coughing a little before heading back to the kitchen as he watched Liam holding a crying Kieran.

Raising an eyebrow as he watched Liam present the toddler with a packet of chocolate buttons instead of his regular breakfast in a futile attempt to quieten him, Niall shook his head, not saying anything as he slumped back into his seat, resting his hand against his barely there baby bump.

Looking up at Liam, Niall gave him a weak smile before he asked "Are you gonna make to my appointment?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world. What time do we need to be there?" Picking up a piece of chocolate Kieran had dropped, Liam sighed as the one year old let out another loud wail, Kieran making grabby hands at Niall as Liam tried half heartedly to shush him. "I was thinking we could see if Louis could come and watch Kieran and just the two of us will go?"

Nodding, Niall stood up, grabbing a cup and filling it with water before placing it in the one year old's spot, taking Kieran out of Liam's arms before holding him close. Jogging Kieran up and down, Niall took the packet of chocolates away from him and put them in the fridge as he said "Yeah, sounds like a plan. My appointment's at ten, but if we go early, we might get seen sooner. I don't think Lou's working today, I'll call him in a minute..."

Finally returning Niall's smile, Liam sat opposite him, watching as Niall semi-succeeded in quieting Kieran before he leaned over and kissed his cheek, standing up and heading towards the fridge before saying "That's sorted then. What would my incredibly gorgeous fiancé like for breakfast?"

"I don't know. Surprise me. But make sure it's edible." Setting Kieran back in his highchair, Niall grinned slightly, watching as Liam rummaged through the fridge, grabbing a packet of strawberries before shutting it and grabbing a packet of toaster waffles out of a cupboard.

Fiddling with the toaster, Liam shrugged as he noticed Niall's expression, turning back around and grabbing the waffles and dropping them on a plate, rummaging through the rest of the kitchen before presenting Niall with a plate of waffles and syrup, topped with strawberries. "Voila. This classifies as edible, I think."

Sighing as Kieran reached over and grabbed a strawberry off of the plate, Niall picked up the fork Liam had slid across to him before tentatively taking a bite off waffle. Swallowing, Niall nodded, grinning again as he said "The things you can do with a toaster and pre cooked waffles."

"We aim to please, love." Returning Niall's grin, Liam pressed a kiss to his neck before sitting back down.

**********

Holding Kieran close to him, Niall sighed as the one year old sobbed into his neck, shrugging as Louis hovered near the door, wrapping his arms tighter around Kieran as he whined. "Daddy. I stays. Daddy."

Running his hand across Kieran's back, Niall winced as the toddlers foot connected with his stomach, covering up his frown as Louis watched on. "I know lovebug, but you're gonna have a great morning with uncle Lou, yeah?"

"Daddy. Papa. No. Daddy." Clinging onto Niall, Kieran's sobs lessened as he squirmed, looking up from Niall's neck to stare at Louis, hiding his face again only to be placed into Louis arms, reaching out for Niall.

Pulling his jumper tightly sound him, Niall tried to smile at Kieran, nodding at Liam before he said "Please, sweetie. You'll be fine. Uncle Lou's here, yeah?"

Swinging Kieran up in the air, Louis motioned for Niall and Liam to head toward the door as he said "We'll be fine, Ni. You guys need to leave before you're late. What's this appointment for, anyway?"

Sharing a look with Liam, Niall took his hand, the two of them nearly out of the door before he turned and said "It's just a regular appointment, nothing important. Thanks again, Lou."

**************

Shifting in his seat, Liam glanced around the already packed waiting room, staring at Niall and noting the anxious look on his face as he asked "Is everything okay?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't it be?" Biting his lip, Niall pulled his jumper sleeves over his wrists, not looking at Liam and trying to keep his voice steady as he spoke.

Linking his fingers with Niall's, Liam nodded, wrapping his arm around Niall's shoulder as he asked "So why aren't we telling your best friend? What's wrong, love?"

"It's nothing. Really, it's just... last time we were here... Li. I just wanna make sure first. Keep it between us this time." Resting his head on Liam's shoulder, Niall ignored the stares coming from a couple of people sat near them, playing with his sleeves again.

"That's okay. We don't have to tell him. Niall..." His voice trailing off, Liam stood up as Niall's name was called, following Niall in the direction of the doctors office, standing awkwardly in the background behind Niall's seat before the doctor gestured for him to sit also.

Looking across at Niall, the doctor made some notes on her compute before speaking. "So, Mr Horan, when you made your appointment, you listed your symptoms as including, nausea, mood swing and fatigue, all of which are signs of pregnancy. Your last appointments, all over a year ago, were all pre-natal, so I presume, if I may, that you have a similar reason this time. You're pregnant, yes?"

Nodding, Niall shared a look with Liam before he said "Yes. When I made the appointment, I wasn't sure, but I've since done a test and it was positive."

Making note if something, the doctor hummed as she scrawled on his notes, typing something before continuing. "And I presume that, like last time, Mr Payne is the father."

"He's my fiancé." Nodding again, Niall smiled a little as he spoke.

"Okay.... so, lets start the examination, shall we? Firstly, how far along are you? Given your last visits, any nausea or fatigue?" Gesturing for Niall to stand up and step on the scales in the corner, the doctor weighed him, adding to his notes before pulling over an ultrasound machine as Niall sat back down.

"Roughly two months, I think." Staring at the machine, Niall turned and gave Liam a small grin before turning back to the doctor.

Pulling the ultrasound machine closer, the doctor gestured for Niall to lift his shirt up as she said "If you'll just lie back, we can take a look at the baby..."

Complying, Niall gave a short gasp at the feel of the gel being applied to his stomach before he relaxed, linking his fingers through Liam's as they looked up at the screen. Squeezing Niall fingers slightly, Liam pointed to the screen, asking "Is that-"

Highlighting a small area on the screen, the doctor nodded in confirmation, smiling herself as she noticed the look on their faces. "That, right there is the foetus, your baby. I'd say your spot on with two months, give or take a week. Congratulations. Would you like a copy of the ultrasound?"

Sitting up, Niall accepted the tissue he was offered, drying himself before pulling his jumper down and saying "Can we get two?"

Standing up, Liam watched as the doctor left the room, returning Niall's smile as he helped him up, wrapping an arm around him and pulling him closer, the two of them smiling at each other before Liam kissed him, the two of them pulling away as they heard footsteps, Niall gratefully taking the printouts from the doctor before the two of them left.