[thirty one]

Katie sat in the passengers seat of Stevens car after being told that riding with Jeremiah, Belly, Taylor, Cam, and Skye wouldn't be a good idea after what had happened before. besides, Katie would have lost her shit if she had been around Skye longer than she had to be.

it wasn't like Katie was doing much better either, her chest still felt tight and the process of breathing actually hurt in a sense.

"ok, look, the tension in here is fucking crazy." Steven broke the silence, "I mean, what is going on?"

Katie shook her head, knowing that if she said a word, she would begin crying again.

"what do you mean what's going on?" conrad asked, "everything is fucking gone, Steven."

"I didnt mean it like that," Steven pointed out, "I just mean with you two. the panic attacks?"

Conrad let out a sigh, leaning forward as he moved to the middle seat in the back. "I don't get them too often, but it's been more often than before." he admitted, "since I've been here, I only had one."

Katie wiped her eyes, looking out the window. it was dark out, the only lighting was the porch lights on the large houses that surrounded the area. she would live in cousins if she could, but it was nearly impossible.

Steven glanced over at Katie, lightly nudging her arm, "how about you blondie?" he asked, looking over at her every few seconds.

the girl shook her head, "it started when my mom died." she admitted, "then it got worse when Jere and I broke up."

"how's that working out?" Conrad asked, wanting to talk about something different, "you and Jere, you're good now?"

Katie shrugged, "I don't really know." she said, letting out an anxious breath, "I mean, we're on good terms now I think, but I don't know if it'll ever be the same as before."

Steven let out a laugh, "Trust me when I say this, it will work out." he said, "I've seen Jeremiah with other people multiple times in the past, but it was never the same as when he was with you."

"Yeah, Katie, he is completely head over heels for you." Conrad added, reaching up and rubbing her shoulder, "so don't over think it. if you want him back, I guarantee that he'll be thrilled."

"you and Jeremiah breaking up felt like when my parents got divorced." Steven pointed out, "I mean, your break up was like Harry Styles and Taylor Swift. Mother and Father."

Katie let out a small laugh. she never thought that her and Jeremiahs relationship had that much of an impact on the others. actually, she didn't realize that the others saw her and Jeremiah as practically soulmates.

"I just don't know if im ready to go through all that pain again if something happens again." Katie admitted, thinking back to how heartbroken she was when they broke up, "I can't handle another heartbreak."

"after what happened last time, there isn't going to be another break up." conrad said, "jere knows what he did was wrong, and he hates himself for letting it happen."

Conrad wasn't lying. Jeremiah had a rough time adjusting to life without Katie. the time that he would usually spend talking to the girl was turned into the time he spent in the gym, pushing his body to the limits every day.

He was nervous for his brother, not knowing whether or not he should have stepped in and done something about his behavior.

katies eyes stayed fixed on the scenery outside the window, seeing that they were pulling up to the country club. personally, Katie hated this place with her whole heart. this was where her summer was ruined last year.