[twelve]

The next few hours for Katie were a blur. She had ended up passing out while on the phone with Jeremiah, leaving Franny to pick up the phone and talk to him.

Katie's red haired friend was in a total panic between Jeremiah and trying to wake Katie up. "Katie, Katie c'mon!" She had said as she repeatedly tapped her cheek. "She's not waking up!"

In the distance, there were a bunch of sirens and flashing lights. "DOWN HERE!" Franny shouted, waving her arms, "HELP!"

She had hung up the phone call with Jeremiah as the EMT's came down, taking both Katie and herself out in stretchers.

Katie briefly woke up while in the ambulance, an oxygen mask over her face and a flashlight being shone into her eyes.

"Katie, I'm Bryan and your in the ambulance, ok?" The EMT said to her, trying to calm her down, "we are bringing you to the hospital to check you out properly, is there anyone we can call?"

Katie shook her head no.

"Ok, I'm going to need you to stay strong."

"We got the driver out." A voice said over a walkie-talkie, "she's in fatal condition but has a chance to live. Front seat passenger is gone, along with a back seat passenger."

Katie looked around frantically. "Layla." She said, taking the mask off of her face. "Where is layla and Franny? Is Ray ok?"

Bryan was quick to put the mask back in Katie's face, gently pushing her back down so she was laying again. "Stay down, you'll make it worse."

A couple minutes later, they arrived to the hospital. Katie shut her eyes as she was wheeled to a room, not wanting to see anyones faces as she went by.

It didn't take them long to get her stable in another room, a doctor coming in to talk to her. "Katie, I am Doctor Hall." A kind woman said as she entered the room, "how are you?"

Katie looked around. "In pain." She mumbled.

"Yeah, I expected that." Dr hall gently laughed, looking down at a clipboard. "But I'm here to tell you that your ankle is definitely broken, but that will heal itself with the help of a cast and putting zero pressure on it. You also have a severe concussion, so you'll be staying with us so we can monitor you."

Katie nodded, looking down at her ankle that was covered by the blanket over her. "That's it?" She asked in a whisper, talking hurting her throat.

Dr hall nodded back. "You got lucky, only two of you survived the wreck with no major injury." She said, "but if you don't mind me asking, what happened?"

Katie took a breath, looking at the woman.

"If this makes you feel any better, whatever you say to me is confidential, only between unless you tell me otherwise." Dr hall added.

"We we're at a party. Uh-uh Sal Freeman's house. A couple of us were high and drunk, some just one of the two." Katie began, "we had taken Kayla's father car to the party, then he texted her to have the car back home so we left immediately when she got the message at about 1:30am. None of us were thinking when we let Layla behind the wheel, but it was too late when we sped off and rolled down the hill."

Dr hall nodded, "where were you seated in the car?" She asked.

"I-In the back, middle seat." She said, "I don't know how I'm alive."

"And you and the other girl, Franny. You two managed to exit the vehicle safely?" The woman asked.

Katie nodded. "Am-am I going to get arrested?" She asked fearfully.