[twenty one]

The following day, Katie and Conrad were trying to come up with different ideas for how they'd be able to save the house from being sold. Unfortunately, they kept on hitting dead ends with each plan they made.

"What if we just killed your aunt Jessica." Katie suggested, "I mean, who gets it after her? You and Jeremiah."

Conrad sighed. "First, it's my aunt Julia." He corrected her, "and second, no one would get it because we'd be in jail."

Conrad had been noticeably distracted while they brainstormed, but Katie chose not to comment on it. She hasn't actually spoken to him since prom, so she knew he was struggling.

The girl understood what he was going through. She herself had only just began to accept that her mother wasn't coming back.

"I've got it." Conrad said, "my savings. They're supposed to be for the future, but this is important."

Katie shook her head. "Like hell your dick wad father is gonna let you access that." She pointed out, "he's probably still butt hurt about football."

Conrad nodded, knowing Katie was right. "There's one person he would listen to." He whispered, looking up at katie.

"Well it damn well isn't me." She replied, "who are you thinking of?"

"Jere."

Katie looked down, letting out a slow breath. "Well if you call him and he says he's coming here, make sure I'm not." She spoke in a soft tone, "I haven't heard from him or spoken to him since the break up."

"I'm sorry he was such an ass to you." Conrad changed the subject to Jeremiah, "I laughed when he told me that you two broke up because I didn't believe it."

The girl look another breath, shaking her head as she replayed the night in her head. "It took me a while to realize that it was actually over just like that," she said, snapping her fingers.

"I think he was really hoping you'd come and talk to him while everyone was at the house." Conrad said, "i don't know what happened that day with whether or not you two interacted with each other, but he didn't really seem to mention it."

"I couldn't." She stated, "god, I had to stand in the back of the church at the funeral because I was a wreck. Laur wanted me to sit with her up front, but you and jere were right there. I just couldn't do it."

Conrad nodded, understanding what she meant. He always did understand her.

The two would've continued their conversation, but they heard the front door opening.

"What the hell?" Conrad mumbled.

Katie walked into the other room, trying to see if anyone could be seen from in there.

"Conrad?" A familiar voice shouted. "Conrad I know your here, the car is outside."

The blonde immediately knew who it was. The harsh tone being one that she's heard only once before.

"Connie, you can't just disappear like that." Jeremiah spoke as he had found Conrad in the kitchen, "When I call you, pick up your fucking phone."

Conrad groaned running his fingers through his hair. "I've been dealing with a lot of shit recently, Jere."

Jeremiah scoffed. "Dude, you have to get back to school for your bio finals."

"I don't care!" Conrad argued, "I'm not leaving!"

"What do you mean your not leaving?"

"School doesn't matter." Conrad whined. "Fuck school!"

Katie listened to the brothers arguing, considering whether or not she should let them go at each other for a little while longer.