[eighteen]

There was something about the way that Katie felt that signaled she was reaching a point in her life that would cause nothing but misery as she sat on the edge of her bed back home. Immediately after the school year had ended in the Conklins home town, the blonde came right back home.

Not that she was bored or anything with them, but she needed a refresher. Some time away from every one so that she could grieve in her own way.

There was a lot for her to grieve actually.  Susannah's death being number one, and her messy breakup with Jeremiah. There was nothing that could have made her feel more shitty than being told to her face by Jeremiah that she was too needy for someone to be able to handle while he was adjusting to his mother's worsening condition.

Katie hated thinking about that night.

"Katie, are you even listening?" Belly asked over the phone.

"Sorry, what?"

"I asked if you were gonna come back for Stevens graduation." Belly said, "he's supposed to make a speech of some sort."

"Bells I don't know..." Katie sighed, looking around her messy room, "I just got home, I don't think my dad is gonna want me leaving already."

"Katie, please." Stevens voice sounded from the background of belly's side of the call. He practically begged the blonde to come back to Massachusetts. "Jere and Conrad won't come because you two fucked every thing up. I need someone."

The blonde didn't say anything, staring at the wall infront of her with an empty mind. She had totally zoned out, thinking about how life should be right now.

She should be on the bus to cousins, and Jeremiah would pick her up from the bus stop, and then the two of them would go to the house and see everyone. But that definitely won't happen again.

"Steven you know that I would, but I can't." Katie declined the offer, "I'm still trying to figure out my situation here, I can't leave again."

The boy groaned, then Katie could hear the sound of him walking away. Belly was silent as well, probably thinking about what to do with Steven.

Katie felt bad for not going, she actually wanted to go back. But, she was giving her dad another chance to prove he can handle her.

"I should probably go talk to him." Belly sighed, "I'll talk to you later, Katie."

"Alright, bye bells."

When Katie had hung up, she stood from her bed and walked out of her room. The main room didn't reek of alcohol like it normally did, but it definitely still stunk. "Dad?" Katie asked, "what's from dinner?"

Sitting at the kitchen table was Gregg white. His coffee mug was filled half way with a liquid that definitely didn't smell at all like coffee, but like alcohol. Katie had to admit, her father had gotten better since last year, but not by a lot.

Sure, he still drank and smoked cigars 24/7, but he hadn't been too mean to his daughter physically as often as he used to.

Well, it also has been only a week.

"Dinner?" Gregg asked, looking up at his daughter, "got eat a fucking peanut butter and jelly sandwich."

Katie sighed, opening the cabinet where the bread and peanut butter would be. "Dad, the bread is literally green." She announced, holding up the bag of molded bread.

Gregg let out a loud groan, slamming the news paper onto the table. "Jesus Christ, Katie." He spoke frustratedly, standing up from his seat.

Whenever he did this, Katie could feel her heart begin to race and her confidence crumbling. Gregg White is an intimidating man, whether he's trying to be or not.

"This is why you should've fucking stayed here with your job and school!" He boomed, "going all the way to Massachusetts to live with Laurel did nothing but make you soft."

Katie crossed her arms, "What the fuck does that have to do with me finding out the bread is moldy you fucking idiot?!"

the girl paused for a moment when she saw the look of rage in her fathers eyes. Oh shit, she thought.

At this moment, Katie felt like a little puppy. Scared of everything.

"What did you just say?" Gregg spoke, sounding calm when it was obvious that he was anything but that.

"I said-" Katie considered changing shy she said to avoid the definite beating that was going to be coming her way, "-your a fucking idiot."

Gregg white inhalers a shard breath. "Yeah, yeah that's what I thought you said." He spoke, taking his newspaper and rolling it up.

In an instant, the tightly rolled newspaper was being used to repeatedly hit her. Katie decided she was going to stand her ground though.

The blonde girl reached out and grabbed the newspaper, trying to get it out from her fathers grip. "Stop!" She begged.

Gregg grunted as he shoved Katie away, causing her to fall to the ground. "Next time you try to cal me a fucking idiot, look in the mirror and see what your life has become and what you've caused to ruin others."

"You should try that too." Katie spoke under her breath as she began to get up, wanting to just walk away.

However, there's no way that was happening after saying that.

Katie was shocked that her father didn't say anything to her. But that didn't last long. Gregg turned to face her and sent his fist flying into her face.

"Get out of my house." He said, "I don't want you here. Go back to laurels."

There were tears in Katie's eyes as she walked towards her room and grabbed her bag. She didn't have the time to unpack yet from when she was with the Conklins, so she had to opportunity to just get up and go.

"How am I supposed to get there?" She asked with a strained voice, trying to ignore the throbbing pain on her cheek.

"Walk your lazy ass to the bus stop and buy a ticket back there. It's not that hard."

Katie frowned and walked away without another word. She felt that the world was caving in on her, that she had no way of getting back to her life before it went downhill.

While she walked to the bus stop, Katie though about where she would be going.

Definitely not back to laurels. Not like this.

She couldn't go to the fishers because of Jeremiah.

So there was one last option. One where no one was bound to be.

A/N:

AND WERE BACK
SEASON 2 HAS PREMIERED!

as of right now, I only have seen the first three episodes (and so have you guys.. I hope...) so this will definitely be all over the place.

So...:

What happened between Katie and Jeremiah?

Where is Katie going?

Why did Katie come home?

What was Katie's reaction to Susannah's death (remember, I took down the chapter I had originally written for Susannah's death so that it would be more accurate with the series)

Who's going to notice Katie's is gone first because we all know Gregg won't say a word.

Vote, comment, and follow <3