Chapter Fifty Five

"You ever been in love?"

"Nosey little fucker aren't you?"

"That woman, in your Memory Lane thing, that was Christine, right?"

"Yes, that was Christine. How do you know her?"

"From other you."

"Were we together?"

"No, you didn't talk anymore. You blew it."

"Of course."

"Did you blow it with your Christine?"

"Yes, I guess I did."

"Why?"

"Complicated."

"More complicated than being chased by a witch through the Multiverse?"

"Yes, actually. It is."

"Love makes life complicated" I voice when America looks like she wants to continue her crusade of questioning Strange "You're better off without it."

"You ever been in love?"

Pausing my stride from infront of them, I scrunch my nose at America as she passes me by "Nosey little fucker aren't you?" Completely unphased, she shrugs it off. Reaching the edge of the back alley I raise my brows at the statue of Strange outside the New York Institute. Whistling, I chuckle "That's a mighty valiant arm you have raised there doctor."

The burning in the side of my head only lasts a moment before we're weaving across the road towards the statue. Tapping the plaque, America reads "Gave his life defeating Thanos. We express eternal gratitude to Earth's mightiest hero."

"See" Strange nudges her, "We're not all bad."

America doesn't come close to laughing, "Well if you're dead then who's the master of the Sanctum?"

Snorting, I mutter under my breath "Isn't master of the Sanctum now Wo- ow!" Rubbing my arm, I glare at his cloak "It's just the truth!" The creak of a door draws my attention. Stepping out of the institue, the man watches us patiently from the threshold.