Chapter Forty Three

"It's not your fault Peter

"It's not your fault Peter. What happened to her is not your fault."

May succumbed to her wound before she reached the hospital

Doctors say between her exterior wounds and the broken bones internally, she never truly had a chance.

Sat in an uncomfortable hospital chair I stare at the blood soaking my hands. May's blood dried and coating my skin. Sniffling, I duck my head and wipe my tears from my cheek with my soot covered arm. I shove've just portalled her away. I shouldn't have asked for her permission. She should've been on the other side of the god damn planet.

"Adeline?" Lifting my head from my arms, I almost break into pieces at the sight of Happy. His suit a messy and blazer contrast to the fluorescent hospital lights. hands hung by his sides, his gaze is fixated on me "I saw- I saw you get into the ambulance with her." His attention seems to falter at the amount of blood on my hands "She is okay... right?"

I clench my teeth so hard I worry they'll shatter, "Happy..."

I can't even get the words out. Not when I watch his heart breaking in his eyes. "Oh my-" His hand comes to his mouth, smothering the sob that chokes in his throat. His passes past me- checking in the rooms as if I could be joking with him. But his shoulders slump checking the window of the room we sit beside. His expensive jacket crumpling at the floor.

Swallowing hard, I meekly offer "Happy I'm so sorry."

Brows pinching, he slowly shakes his head "Why didn't you get her out of there?" My heart sinks at the sheer anger on his face when he turns to stare at me "Why didn't you protect her? She never had a chance between you freaks!"

"I-" Cutting myself off I try to shake the tears but they don't go. They refuse to disappear anywhere but down my cheeks "I'm so sorry. I'm so incredibly sorry."

"You're sorry?" he chuckles somber, again shaking his head as the reality settles in "You were supposed to protect her."

"Happy I-" Happy doesn't say a word. He just holds up his hand as if another word from my mouth is going to make him sick. So I shut my mouth and let the tears fall. Watching Happy stumble down the hospital and disappear around the corridor. Not another word said.