Chapter Seven

"Don't go in the dark basement

"Don't go in the dark basement. Rule number fucking one of 'How to Avoid Being Murdered'. Number fucking one."

Pushing through Wanda's barrier I come bursting out to find Monica bent over, hands on the ground

Pushing through Wanda's barrier I come bursting out to find Monica bent over, hands on the ground. Worriedly I stagger over to crouch beside her "Hey-you good?"

"Yeah" Monica breathes hard over her knee, "I think-"

Her gaze catching mine I'm taken aback at the electric blue that meets mine. A vast- very unnatural- change from the dark brown which had been on the other side of the barrier. My lips part when Monica staggers back to land in the grass, her gaze narrowed as her hand raises to shield her eyes "Geez-turn it off!"

Arching my brow I hesitantly glance down at my hands wondering if I've conjured something without knowing. But I haven't. I would've known. Flipping my olive hands front and back I spare Monica another long glance "It's not..." Stepping aside and out of her view, I ponder the question "Monica what're you seeing?"

Big electric eyes gazing around, her squint gradually releases "Like...like pulses of blue...and violet...swirls of it."

Reverting my gaze to the street, I wonder "Where from?"

"The streetlights... the telephone towers... powerlines-powerlines pulsating..." Monica slowly trails her gaze around the suburban street "The trees...grass... birds..."

"Energy", I mutter under my breath, sparing a glance at the Hex looming over us. Darcy told us her biology was changing. Did Wanda's Hex alter Monica into an enhanced like me? I mean...can Monica see the energy around us?

"What was that?" Flickering my gaze to Monica, I pull a tight smile when I meet her gaze worried stare "Adeline-what was that?"

"I think we should talk about that later", I reach to tug Monica into a jog. Ducking around a bend, find myself stating "I'm sorry for your loss."

With a skeptical side glance, Monica tries to carelessly question "What do you mean?"

"The whole understanding of what Wanda is going through. Cells in remission", easily, the pieces fall into place "You lost your mother to cancer." With the falling of her features, Monica slows her pace to a walk and I follow suit. I'm right. "I just thought I'd offer you my condolences."