Chapter Seventeen

"Now is this guy bothering you?"

"Yeah for almost five years now but he's harmless."

Sam pausing before some kids I inch closer to Bucky as we stroll through the neighborhood, trying to understand what's going through his mind

Sam pausing before some kids I inch closer to Bucky as we stroll through the neighborhood, trying to understand what's going through his mind. He doesn't do things without reason and taking a detour to Maryland's is certainly a thought-out move. Noticing the drag in Bucky's pace, I wonder "You wanna tell me what's got you bundled in knots?"  Bucky ducks his gaze to meet mine and I get stuck in their depths. Nudging me to the side I realise we're at the location. Whatever Bucky needs to show Sam seems to lie behind a two-story home falling apart at the hinges. Edging my way up the broken concrete stairs my finger taps along the dirty concrete banister.

Taking in the wrought iron decorative flyscreen adorning the rusted sign 'no trespassing', I look past Sam to take in the breaking playground beside the homestead. Children playing on the broken parts as their parents warn them of being careful. Wooden door whining open I glance through the screen to see a boy no older than sixteen tuggers it open. A wary stare on his face upon the sight of us stood unwelcome on his porch. "We're here to see Isaiah."

Shaking his head, the boy shifts his weight "Nobody named Isaiah lives here."

Flicking his gaze towards us, Bucky tries pressing "Look we just wanna talk with him."

"You must not hear what I just said", he leans closer to the screen, wanting us gone "You ain't getting in this house." Waving us away, the boy suggests "Y'all can leave now."

Attention falling to his boots, Bucky suggests "Tell him the guy from the bar in Goyang is here." When the boy watches him steadily, Bucky assures him "He'll know what that means."

We're watched hesitantly for another long moment "Alright. Wait here."

As soon as the door bangs shut, Sam steps closer into our circle "Nice kid. So how do you know this guy?"

"Use to", Bucky tucks away his hands, staring off the porch "We had a skirmish during the Korean War."

The door suddenly swinging open, the boy unlatched the flyscreen "Today's your lucky day. Said he wants to see for himself." Nobody moving I nudge Bucky, giving him a look to go first. If a swing goes flying o don't feel like walking into it. Following behind Bucky I traipse inside, my gaze taking in the tearing outdated wallpaper, smudged windows, and furniture I know use to be white.