Chapter 24

Chapter Twenty-Four…

After having ordered our food and picked out a table, I dropped my multiple bags to the floor. I was almost disappointed I didn’t persuade Jord to come with us, just so that he could carry my bags for me.

We’d not spoken about the encounter with my father whilst we were shopping, so as not to drag down the mood any further. I had been content to spend my money and put my problems to the back of my mind for the short space of time; enjoying being able to buy things and not just browse.

But now we were sat down with only food in front of us, we retreated back to the topic of our earlier meeting. “Mr. Armstrong’s mum really didn’t seem to like you.” Mel informed me, confusedly. I could tell that was something she’d been puzzling over. If Jord and Matt liked me, what was her opposition to me?

I shrugged. “She hated me the first time she met me.”

“Why?” Mel inquired.

“Because I dragged Jord into all that business with the police.” I explained. I thought it would be relatively obvious, but Mel also wasn’t to know Audrey knew about the police drama.

Mel nodded sympathetically. “I can’t believe your dad threatened you.” She whispered, her eyes widening as she mentally recited the conversation.

I averted my eyes. I still wasn’t sure how realistic that threat had been. Surely if he was planning on taking me by force, or kidnapping me in other words, he wouldn’t have openly declared it. He was just trying to rile Jord up. That’s what I was telling myself anyway. There was no point in scaring myself with things that weren’t true. “He didn’t mean it. Even he wouldn’t do something like that, I’m sure.”

Mel looked sceptical. “I don’t know, he sounded pretty serious. If Mr. Armstrong hadn’t knocked his arm out of the way he would have grabbed you.” He pointed out.

I sighed. She was right, but Arthur surely knew Jord would have stopped him from touching me anyway. He couldn’t be that stupid. I decided to voice my thought process. “Arthur knew he wouldn’t get the chance to touch me before Jord interfered.”

Mel seemed to consider that. “Yeah, you’re right.” She agreed, sounding rather confident in my deducing skills. “When did Mr. Armstrong meet your dad anyway?” Mel questioned.

“He gave me a lift home from Matt’s because I ran out of petrol one day.” I recapped. “Arthur was there threatening to blackmail my mum, so Jord threatened him in turn.”

Mel shook her head amused. “I still can’t imagine Mr. Armstrong being that aggressive at all.” She commented.

I chuckled with her. I wouldn’t have either, but after seeing him manhandle Zack, I had gained new appreciation for how willing he was to protect me, apparently not caring so much about the consequences.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“So, Mr. Sledhill has decided he wants to campaign for full custody of Jessica McCarthy.” The sophisticated woman in front of me informed my mum and I.

I considered the name Sledhill. Jessica Sledhill. Jessica Rae Sledhill. Even I could realise it didn’t sound right, although maybe that was just because I was used to being called McCarthy. I’d always been almost sad that I’d never even had a last name to remember my father by, but I could understand now and was glad my mum had chosen to give me hers instead.

My mum fidgeting with her hands in her lap but nodded. “I understand.” She stated. “So what happens now?”

The woman, who was currently fiddling with her overly long, overly blonde, hair hesitated before flipping through a couple of papers. I resisted the urge to sigh. You would have though she’d at least come slightly prepared. It was clear my dad was basing his solicitors on appearance rather than ability. Unless this woman was just a messenger.