Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen…

Tears were pouring down her face as she threw herself into my arms, sobbing hysterically. I took in the bag she’d set down on the floor and knew instantly what had happened. “What’s wrong Mel?” I asked, deciding to just let her explain rather than tell her I could guess she’d been kicked out. I had looked very much the same when it had happened to, only a bit less delirious.

She just shook her head against my shoulder, still not being able to form a coherent word. Her car was parked at a funny angle on my driveway, illustrating the fact she had been in too much of a rush to even drive properly.

I leant forward, retrieving her bag but not jostling her, then proceeded to lead her over to the sofa after closing the door behind me.

I sat down next to her and waited for at least a small amount of composure to regain itself within her. “Can you tell me what happened now?” I checked, feeling very sympathetic towards her. I could empathise with anyone who was suffering family issues and I couldn’t deny even Mel help when she wanted it.

“She kicked me out!” She informed me, her voice muffled by the tears that still flowed freely down her face. “I told her that I knew she was cheating.” She revealed.

I didn’t know what to say that could make her feel any better. If it had been my problem, I would have told Jord about it and hoped that he could give me some advice as to how to solve it. Mel didn’t have someone like that though and come to think about it, neither did I anymore.

That put me in a depressed mood as well and I felt even more pitiful of Mel. “She just kicked you out for that? Didn’t she give any kind of explanation?” I pushed further.

“I told her that she either had to tell Dad, or I would. She said that I couldn’t rule her life like that, that I was an ungrateful child and then told me to get out and never come back.” She burst into renewed sobs then and I found myself wondering how I would handle a situation like hers.

When I’d first seen Arthur in my house, I had thought nothing of it. Pondering for a second that my mother could be having an affair, but not really thinking anything of it. The second time I’d witnessed him in my house, however, I had taken it more seriously.

Yet, despite my certainty that they’d been having an affair, I’d never come close to thinking about what I was going to do about it. I’d just panicked over that fact they could even be involved together and let it overtake my mind, not even considering what kind of reaction I was supposed to come up with. Even thinking about it now, I was still at a loss. If I’d told my mum my theory, she would have just denied it to the hilt, refusing to admit to such a horrific thing.

I already knew that I wouldn’t have told Harry until I had spoken to my mother, but actually having the guts to tell her in the first place was something I didn’t know if I had or not.

The only difference between mine and Mel’s case was that my mum and Arthur being together had only been a theory. I’d neither seen nor heard anything that gave me proof of an affair between them. I was simply going on a whim, whereas Mel had witnessed her mum with another man. She knew her mother was cheating.