Chapter 23

Chapter Twenty-Three…

“I meant it.” My mum stated confidently.

I tried not to sigh and give away the exasperation I was feeling. “You were off your head when you made that promise. Isn’t that enough to prove you can’t do this.”

“You were the one who said believing I could do it was the first step, and I’ve taken it. But I need you to have confidence in me as well. I most certainly can’t do this without your support.” She reminded me.

I really did let out an audible breath of air this time. She had got me with that point, but I hadn’t realised the severity of the situation at that time. I hadn’t witnessed her drug induced state and how unrealistic my suggestion had been. “And what happens if you can’t do it? Then you lose me for good. Is that a risk you’re willing to take?” I queried, trying to make her see the seriousness of what she was vowing to accomplish.

“Of course I’ve considered that.” She looked at me as though I was a fool for even implying that she hadn’t. “But it isn’t a risk, because I know that I can do this. I have to, for you.” She assured me, before tagging on something I hadn’t even considered onto the end of it. “Plus, Harry’s going to do it as well, which will be more support for me.”

With all the things going on, Harry had slipped my mind altogether. My mum had been so panicked to make sure I never told him, but in the end I hadn’t needed to, because he’d been alerted of it. I wasn’t sure what his opinions were or what he’d known before Arthur turned up though. “What does Harry think about the circumstances?” I inquired. “How much did he know when you didn’t want me to tell him about it.”

“Harry’s always known Arthur was alive.” She revealed, making me stop her before she could carry on.

“You told Harry, but never me?” I was hurt by that. Did it mean she trusted him more? Or just loved him more.

“I knew it would ruin us if he ever found out and I hadn’t told him.”

“But it wouldn’t ruin me if I ever found out and you hadn’t told me?” I asked incredulously. Had she expected me to just understand and accept everything she had lied about?

“I already explained why I never told you.” She pointed out.

“That didn’t make me feel much better though.” I retaliated, not allowing her to think that he explanation had made everything okay again. I still resented her for not telling me the truth for so many years.

She tried to ignore what I’d said, but I didn’t miss the flash of regret in her eyes. “Should I ring Arthur and let him know that we aren’t giving in then?” She inquired, her face alight with victory. We hadn’t won yet though, and I was still having lots of doubts that we would.

“No.” I told her. “We should wait until he comes back to us. It gives us more time for you to come clean.” I explained. There was no point in letting him know and then him jumping in before she was ready to get the drug test done.

She weighed this over and then nodded in agreement. “You’re right. When do you think he’ll be coming round?” She questioned.

I thought about it. It had been a couple of days since his last appearance, so it would either be later tonight, or tomorrow more than likely. I could still hope it would be later than that though. “Tomorrow maybe?” I suggested.

“Yeah, probably.” She agreed. “I’m going now though, I have to meet Harry, he’ll be coming out of work soon.” She informed me, standing up and going to grab a pair of shoes from the rack which held them in the corner. “I’ll see you later honey.”