Chapter 48

Chapter Forty-Eight…

“You don’t think Jord will really lose his job, do you?” I asked Matt, who was sat in the chair accompanying the desk my backside was occupying.

As much as I had been encouraging Jord not to even consider the possibility he might lose his job, that didn’t mean I was one hundred percent. I still held as much doubt as he did, but I didn’t want to put him off by vocalising that.

Matt sighed. “I honestly don’t know.” He replied, face grim with the possible outcome. “I don’t want Jordan to lose his job either, but I don’t know what Mrs. Danks is like, like you.”

I thought back to my many meetings with her and tried to pick out the ones she’d been genuine in.

There weren’t a lot to go at.

She’d gone as far as to exclude me, but I knew she’d been close a couple of times. She’d always listened to my side of the story, but hadn’t generally put much trust in it. The only time she’d ever picked my argument over someone else’s, was when I claimed Zack tried to rape me.

The one time I’d been lying to her.

She’d defended Jord that time though, so maybe she’d favour him again.

“Plus, like she said, not many people applied for the position last time, what makes her think she’ll land someone better at the job if it becomes available again.” Matt pointed out logically. “Like you made a point of saying, Jordan’s a good teacher and everyone respects him, albeit aside from the rumours, she’d be stupid not to recognise that.”

I smiled. Without being incredibly biased, Jord was a phenomenal teacher.

The classroom door opened then and I held my breath, for some reason expecting the worst. It was only the supply teacher, who had been covering the class whilst Jord was with Mrs. Hippo, exiting.

When she turned around, I noticed it was Mrs. Vaughn, the teacher Leonie had made a point of informing about mine and Jord’s relationship earlier. What an unhappy coincidence.

“Jessica.” She commented, sounding surprised. “Shouldn’t you be in class?”

I glanced at Matt, willing him to come up with an excuse that wouldn’t be incriminating in the slightest. It wasn’t looking likely, though.

“We were at Mrs. Hi-Danks office and when we came out there didn’t seem much point in going back to lessons.” He explained, quickly stopping the insulting nickname slipping out and getting himself in even more trouble.

Mrs. Vaughn nodded, before her eyes suddenly snapped back to Matt. “Who are you?” She inquired, having realised she was unaware of his identity.

“I’m Jordan’s brother.”

“Oh yes, you must be who Leonie was talking about earlier.” She agreed, causing me to instantly grimace. She could still remember the little details, which was obviously fantastic. Mrs. Vaughn grasped what she’d just said then as well and glanced at me awkwardly. “About what Leonie said earlier…” She trailed off, unsure of how to broach the subject, obviously uncomfortable about bringing it up.

“It’s a load of bullsh-rubbish.” I rapidly corrected myself, not wanting to get into her bad books when she had the power to take the rumours straight to the top of the chain. “Leonie’s just trying to spite me because I’ve done some things to humiliate her recently.”

Matt grinned. “Such as breaking her nose.” He reminded me, smirking as he pictured Leonie’s still slightly disfigured nose.

I shook my head, glaring at him. “Not helping Matt.” I scolded, before hurriedly turning back to Mrs. Vaughn and smiling sweetly at her.