Chapter 32

Chapter Thirty-Two…

Jord slumped against me, letting nearly all his weight rest on me.

I stared at him, eyes wide in a panic. He couldn’t have been shot. No, not Jord. Anyone but Jord.

However, when he raised his eyes to meet mine, they showed no pain whatsoever and I soon realised that he wasn’t the one the bullet had been impaled into.

No, but the reality of who had been shot came crashing down seconds later when a high pitched scream echoed through the air.

My head spun round as fast as it could manage, revealing Mel’s body slumped on the floor a short distance away.

Momentarily forgetting Jord’s heavy weight that was encasing me protectively, I moved forwards, only to be held back automatically. “Jord, I have to go to Mel.” I begged him, panic swelling in my veins.

After swivelling his head as well, he nodded, making a move himself to help her.

She was already surrounded though before we’d even moved a muscle. Police were swarming her, all making frantic calls for an ambulance.

Tears were running down my face in a steady stream as I barged my way through, aided by Jord. Grace was on her knees at the side of her, also in hysterics.

“Oh my god.” I muttered, sprinting the last couple of steps and collapsing at the side of her also.

Mel was clearly unconscious, more than likely from lack of blood as I saw the gaping wound on her shoulder where the bullet had torn through her soft flesh. Jord stood behind me, resting a comforting hand on my shoulder.

Whilst I was in need of much greater comfort, I could understand Jord’s hesitance. The police, knowing that Jord was my teacher, would be suspicious of any behaviour that was more than friendly. No doubt his indirect confession had already raised some sort of alarm bells in their minds. We didn’t need that kind of drama right now.

“I can’t believe she was shot.” Grace choked out as she was moved to the side by a police officer carrying what looked like a blanket.

He padded the wound, trying to restrict the blood flow, I assumed. Luckily for Mel, she was out cold and wouldn’t feel the insane pain that would no doubt be filling her senses otherwise.

Blaring sirens entered my hearing range seconds later, as an ambulance swerved to a stop nearby. I was in so much shock that I could barely comprehend anything that was happening around me, it all seemed to be happening in slow motion.

I vaguely realised that Jord was hoisting my up from my feet, a supporting arm wrapped around my shoulder so that I didn’t fall over sideways. I watched in horror as Mel was lifted onto a stretcher and carried over to the ambulance by three paramedics.

It had zoomed off before I even had the chance to argue, to tell them I wanted to go with her.

When the sirens had gone and I was left to look only at the space where Mel’s body had been lying previously, the reality seemed to come crashing back down.

I burst into uncontrollable sobs, clinging onto Jord like he was the only thing left in the world. I buried my head into his chest, uncaring of the consequences. I just needed him to hold me, to bring me some sort of salvation to my shaken up world.

He returned it willingly, resting his hands on my lower back forcefully and pulling me tight against him. He didn’t let his head do anything untoward, and simply rested his chin on my hair, presumably looking out over the devastating scene.