Chapter 25

Chapter Twenty-Five…

It appeared the blonde woman had only been a messenger, because the crisp woman sat in front of me now was much more like how I’d pictured a solicitor.

Her brown hair was pulled back into a tight bun and there was no fringe or loose ends in her face, which was clad with a minimal amount of make-up.

Her outfit was a pencil skirt and blouse, which unlike the blonde’s, came just below her knee. The shiny black mid-heels completed the image and I could gather she was very professional when it came to her job.

“I have come to inform you that the drug test will be taking place tomorrow.” She told my mum, practically blanking my presence altogether. He voice was formal and held no emotion. It was like she was reciting a prepared script.

My eyes widened slightly, but I tried to keep the frown off my face. It had only been a week since my mum had promised to stay off the drugs, but would she have really managed it? Has she not touched them once since she gave me her word? I didn’t know. I honestly didn’t.

In the last week, nothing out of the ordinary had happened. Lydia had gloated about her date nearly all the time I was at work and so I knew it had gone really well for them so far. I was as pleased as I could be and hoped that they lasted a long time, hopefully then the excitement factor would wear off. As much as I was happy for them, her adoration for Matt was getting a bit excessive.

I hadn’t spoken to Arthur again, and he hadn’t sent any other solicitors, until now. We had sorted out our own lawyer, one that the government provided us with. It was a requirement that we had one, so we had to settle for the free one.

My mum’s reaction was one similar to mine, and that worried me further. She would know whether or not she’d managed to keep off the drugs and that should mean she had nothing to fear. The fact she appeared nervous made me nervous in turn.

“All you need to do is go to the hospital between the hours of nine and three tomorrow and they’ll know who you are.” She briefed my mother.

My mum nodded, now trying to keep the anxiety off her face. “I understand.”

“Your daughter needs to have her speech prepared for next Saturday, that is when the court case will be held. I’m sure your lawyer can outline the details of what she should put into it.” She told my mum, still completely ignoring me.

“I am here you know.” I muttered, rolling my eyes. Just because I was a teenager, it didn’t mean I didn’t understand what was going on. This was more about me than my mother in the long run anyway.

The solicitor obviously caught my negative comment and sent me a frosty glare. I just blanked her, like she had been doing me so far. “Mr. Sledhill and I will see you on the day, and probably not before.” She stood up then and dismissed herself, much like the blonde woman had done.

I scowled. Even though the blonde woman had been ridiculously fake and annoying, at least she hadn’t ignored me. This woman was just plain awful and I really hoped I didn’t have to see again, full stop.

When she had left, I turned to my mum. “We should be fine then. As long as you haven’t touched anything since you said you wouldn’t, we’ll be okay.” I announced, grinning in hope, but also waiting to gauge her reaction.

I didn’t miss the flash of guilt that vanished as soon as it appeared and I tried not to let the frown I was concealing surface. She smiled though and chuckled. “Everything’s going to be okay. I can’t believe it.”

No, I couldn’t believe it either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------