Chapter 42

Chapter Forty-Two…

Is it true you’re fucking Mr. Armstrong?

Slamming my phone down on the table, I let out a groan of pure anger. Leonie, who happened to still have my number, had wasted no time in spreading it about the school.

So now, I was receiving constant texts every five minutes. Some of them had been similar to this one, asking me random questions about Jord. Others, had been much more offensive.

You stupid whore, I hate you.

That one had been particularly pleasant.

Jord sent me a wary look, one that had been present on his face for most of the evening. “Another one?” He asked, a question he’d repeated many times now.

Matt also made a sound of disapproval. “This is getting ridiculous.” He commented, shaking his head with anger. “Is there nothing you can do about it?”

I shook my head despondently. “The only excuse we ever had to deny a relationship between us was you, but it will just look even more suspicious if I suddenly decide I’m ‘dating’ you again. It’s not going to work twice.”

Matt sighed. “Good point.” He agreed. “We should have just kept up the act for ages in case something like this happened.”

I laughed. “If this hadn’t have happened, I would have just told you what a stupid idea that was, but I’m actually wishing we had now.”

“I think I’d rather put up with the rumours.” I heard Jord mutter from beside me, a grim look on his face as he remembered the last time Matt and I had pretended to date. That had led to our first kiss, which had made it all worth it for me.

As well as the obvious jealousy I’d failed to notice. Looking back, that had been pretty entertaining too.

Matt appeared to have heard him and sent him a knowing smirk. Matt had been aware of what would happen when he’d proposed our fake dating. He knew Jord would be insanely jealous, which was probably why he’d suggested it in the first place. I, however, had been surprisingly naïve.

“How long do you think the gossip will carry on for?” Matt queried suddenly, changing the course of the conversation slightly.

Once again, there was no answer to his question, the only certain response I could give was: “a long time.” it wasn’t going to die down any time soon, unfortunately.

“Well, how long have you got left at school?”

“It’s January now, so four months. We leave in May because it’s our last year, it’s like study leave.” I explained, even though Jord would obviously knew this.

“Well, I don’t think they’ll last for four months.” Matt replied hopefully, sounding unsure even himself.

Rumours like this one didn’t just disappear though. This was the kind of gossip that would get more and more extravagant the longer it went on. When it started to die down, someone would come up with another development, some other dirty thing we’d achieved. It would go on and on and on, without anyone feeling remorse.

We all released a simultaneous sigh when my phone buzzed again on the table.

I was tempted to just leave it, not bother with the insulting message that was no doubt waiting to be read. Only when I glanced on my screen, it was Grace’s name that was flashed up on the screen.

Smiling in both relief that it wasn’t an unknown number and because my best friend had text me, I picked it up and wondered what she wanted.

Transformers 3 came out today, really wanna see it, do you wanna come? You can bring Mr. Armstrong with you if you like. X