Chapter 50

Chapter Fifty...

Anna still hadn't said much, but her face showed that she was obviously deep in thought. Although that wasn't particularly positive, it was still a lot better than my first expectation, which involved her calling for back-up and carting us off to the police station, so we could answer to her superiors.

This was definitely an improvement on that.

So, whilst Audrey rambled on about how stupid we'd been to even have considered a relationship, I studied Anna. It didn’t mean Audrey's words were going straight over my head, because I could still hear them and I could still feel the guilt weighing on my shoulders the more she spoke. Because, really, most of what she was saying was probably true.

Jord had taken over the task of trying to calm Audrey down, who, whilst trying not to insult Anna in any way, was spouting out how this police woman was going to be the end of us both. That gave me a chance to inconspicuously gauge Anna's emotions and views on the situation.

When I glanced at Matt, I gathered he was doing the same.

The thing was, she was giving nothing away. Her face was an emotionless mask which concealed any trace of a judgment. Only her eyes held a hint of anything, but I wasn’t trained in reading eyes, so they offered me no help like I'd hoped.

When Audrey gave a small gap in her ramblings, Anna took the opportunity to leap in and stop her rampage. "Wait," Anna interrupted as Audrey opened her mouth, ready to restart. "I want to talk to Jessica, can we go in the kitchen or something?"

I nodded immediately, wanting to both escape the room and get some insight into what was whirring around Anna's head.

No one bothered to question it, knowing a better result would be the outcome if there weren't other people there, especially Audrey, to make matters worth - as she had done already.

Anna sat down at the table, but my nerves prevented me from doing that, so I just leant against a counter instead, suddenly realising how nervous I actually was. I was wishing I had protested now, avoiding always seemed better than facing the truth nowadays.

"I shouldn't even have come to you." Anna started, staring at the table rather than meeting my eyes. "I should have gone straight to the station, let you find out when someone came to question you."

I knew she was right, but I didn't know what I was supposed to say to that. There was no point in disagreeing, because she'd already bypassed that option and decided to talk to me first.

"I know." I finally agreed, my eyes as downcast as hers.

"And now I've got the story and the reason, I still don't know what to do."

That was what I'd been fearing.

The final decision.

If it actually got to the police station, that wouldn't need thinking about. Everybody already knew the trouble when it got to that.It would mean the end of Jord and I as a couple, and the end of Jord and I as individuals. We were done for if it got that far.