Chapter 53

Chapter Fifty-Three…

Now I was here, I wasn’t even sure why I’d come.

I glanced up at the intimidating building and felt my pulse increase.

Jord put a soothing hand on my shoulder and I leaned into him automatically, relying on his support. “You don’t have to do this.” He told me gently, his thumb rubbing soothing circles into my skin.

I shook my head. “No, I’ve got to face them eventually, and what Mrs. Danks said to day had me thinking about what’ll actually happen to them.”

He smiled, but still didn’t look too convinced. “Okay.” He agreed, releasing my shoulder as we approached the building.

My parents had been moved to a rehabilitation centre whilst they awaited their trial, or whatever it was they were going to have when a decision was made as to what my future would be, so this was where I’d had to come to see them.

I hadn’t faced them since the first time I found out they’d been caught, so I was understandably nervous. I had no idea what there reactions was going to be - or mine, for that matter. I was likely to be just as unpredictable as they were.

But, I had Jord with me, so I knew I had the backup should I need it.

When I asked if I could see my parents, the lady behind the front desk gave me a knowing look that I instantly interpreted as one of sympathy. I tried to stop the scowl that wanted to surface at that, but I refused to let my annoyance show at her pity. I was feeling sorry enough for myself, I didn’t need other people’s to add to it.

“Right this way.” She gestured for us to follow after we’d signed in at the reception.

I hesitated only momentarily before doing as she’d suggested and walking after her.

Jord was inconspicuously close to me, knowing that it was risk enough for us to be here together in the first place, without being obviously closer than necessary. His presence was enough to keep me relatively calm though, thankfully.

After going to Grace’s to collect my things, I’d been struck with the sudden desire to see my parents. With all that Mrs. Danks had been discussing my living arrangements, she hadn’t actually mentioned my parents once and I found myself wondering how they were. I hadn’t seen them since that first day and though that was partly to do with the fact I really didn’t want to have to face them, it was also because I had no time.

I was back at work, at school, with Jord, with my friends, with the police. I had no time to spend coddling the fact that my parents were stuck in a cell down to their own stupidity and addiction to drugs.

So, we’d gone to the police station, nervous enough that we were going there together, only to be told that my parents had been transferred to a local rehabilitation centre where they could start to recuperate whilst awaiting some kind of verdict. So, we’d been given directions, and driven straight there.

It was only a little way off the route to Matt’s house, so it wasn’t trouble. And I doubted that, even if it was an hour out of the way, Jord would have complained.

When we reached a room, I was pleased to see that it resembled the cramped cell I’d last seem them in very little. Whilst that one had been cramped and barely resembling a room, this one looked much more furnished than the one they had back at home. It consisted of a double bed, large TV and sky box, with a sofa facing it.

I should be on drugs too. I thought ruefully to myself, shaking my head at there luxurious room. No wonder people didn’t want to leave when this was there accommodation, it was preferable to the house we currently owned by a long shot.