Chapter 7

Chapter Seven…

Another week passed without incident and I was slightly disappointed to say that I hadn’t even spoken to Jord outside of a classroom environment again. We’d had two extra-curricular conversations in the space of two days and then it had just been rectified and continued as normal. It annoyed the hell out of me, but I knew it was the right thing to do and didn’t complain.

I had explained the situation Mel was in to Grace and she understood immediately. She didn’t like Mel, for obvious reasons, but didn’t try to dictate who I was friends with and accepted that Mel needed someone to lean on.

Mel hadn’t so much as spoken to me for the week though and I guessed that she had either found a solution to her problem, or decided there was someone better for her to be speaking to about it and gone for that option instead. It didn’t bother me though and I was glad she seemed to have resolved her issue. She hadn’t seemed overly distressed and I took this as a good sign.

Right now, I was sat in the hair salon, behind the blasted desk that I had come to hate already over the past week. This job was so boring. It’s no wonder Lydia offered me the job so quickly if she had been reduced to manning the tills for a while. I had actually started bringing some homework as a source of entertainment when the business was slow.

Lydia came to talk to me occasionally and she was really good company, but most of the time she was otherwise occupied with cutting people’s hair and doing her own job. The only plus side to this was the pay check I had received. I’d asked for my first week’s early so that I would be able to afford fuel and then I would pocket my money monthly after that like everyone else did. Georgina had been more than happy to help thankfully and so I was now sorted.

I tapped my pen impatiently, watching the clock tick, agonizing minute by agonizing minute. It was nearly time for the salon to close and I was just waiting for Lydia to finish an old man’s hair and beard. Everyone else had left, but Georgina insisted that I stay because that was when I was paid to work until. I was beginning to think Georgina was more of a Hitler type figure than she appeared.

I groaned and folded my arms on the table, burying my face in them and yawning. It was obvious no more customers were going to enter and the phone had rung once in maybe an hour? I hated this job. I hated all jobs. How people could do this everyday for the whole of their lives, I had no idea, but I definitely wasn’t one of them. I just wanted to go home and watch some TV; not that that would probably be any more interesting.

As I stared at the desk beneath me, any light filtered out by the curtains my hair had made around me, I heard the door open. I instantly sat up straight, grabbing my pen and pretending to look professional whilst I subtly fixed my messed up hair.

My polite smile dropped when I saw that it was Matt who had interrupted my lounging though. I groaned for the second time in about five minutes and scowled at him. “You ruined my relaxing.” I accused him, causing him to chuckle.

“Well, I am sorry for making you actually do your job.” He retaliated teasingly.

“But it’s so boring.” I whined. “It’s not classed as slacking when you have nothing else to do.”

Matt laughed. “At least you’re getting paid whilst you’re goofing off.”

I grinned. “I resorted to doing homework.” I informed him, making him gape.

“Wow, you must be seriously bored. I bet you did maths homework though.” He pointed out jokingly. My cheeks tinted red. I had actually done some maths homework. “See, I knew it. You’ll do anything that’s related to Jord.”