Chapter 22

Please check out "The Kissing Ban", Thanks :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Twenty-Two…

Mel was grumbling to herself on the sofa when I arrived home again. I’d said I’d needed to go shortly after Matt had returned, having felt gradually more and more uncomfortable the longer I sat there next to Jord; his mother sending us calculating glances and Matt sending us suggestive eyebrow wiggles.

“I’m guessing that the meeting with your mother didn’t go so well then.” I predicted, taking a seat next to her. I’d half expected her to be sat with her bags packed telling me she was going home, but apparently it wasn’t that easy. 

She nodded. “Precisely. She still doesn’t want me to tell my dad. She says it’s better to keep it a secret, because it will rip the family apart if I tell him and I don’t want that.” She recited what her mum had told her. “She’s right, I don’t want that, but I don’t want to keep such a destructive secret either.” 

“Keeping secrets is not fun.” I agreed. I’d done my fair share of lying and had reached the conclusion that it was bad under most circumstances. “I think you should tell him, or get your mum to tell him. He would take it better coming from her.” I told her, deciding to finally give my honest opinion. 

I hadn’t been sure what I’d do, but from my experience in keeping secrets, I knew it wasn’t a good thing. Therefore, telling him the truth was the way forward, the way I saw it. 

“I know that’s what I should do, I just don’t think she’ll do it and I don’t know if I can actually do it myself. It’ll crush him, I know it will and I don’t know if I can contend with seeing that reaction.” She revealed. 

I sighed. “I can’t offer you any more advice, but I think he needs to find out one way or another. You can’t let him live a lie.” 

She nodded. “I know and I will. I’ll make sure that he knows.” She vowed, to herself more than me. “So where were you? After school you zoomed off in your car and I didn’t see you until now.” She inquired.

“Matt’s.” I replied. 

She nodded knowingly. “You know, I wouldn’t be surprised if you two came out and said that you were really dating.” She joked. 

I just snorted and laughed at her. Matt and I would most definitely not be dating really. Neither would Jord and I, despite both of our wishes that statement wasn’t true.  

Before another comment could be made, the door opened and I vaguely heard something bash into the wall. The sound of hysterical giggling then came through to me and I frowned, already knowing what to expect. 

Mel looked confused, but I didn’t bother to answer her questioning gaze. My mother stumbled in then, grinning at me, her eyes unfocused. 

“Hello honey.” She drawled. I knew then that it wasn’t just drugs she’d indulged herself with, but she’d been drinking as well. It was always a lethal combination, but even worse for my mother.