Chapter 29

Chapter Twenty-Nine…

I watched as Mel hauled her bag of things which had accumulated more and more over the time she had been staying here. The various times she’d visited home, she’d come back with another item of clothing, or pair of shoes. Now she had quite a bit here, and it had been crowding my room even more than it was normally.

“Are you sure you don’t want any help?” I inquired, raising an eyebrow.

I had already asked once, but she denied that she needed it, before letting out a heavy sigh and continuing. She did the same now, declining my offer of help and carrying on struggling. I just shook my head, amused, and kept on observing. There was no point in offering my efforts where they weren’t needed.

Mel had kind of made up with her parents. That didn’t mean everything was great, however. She’d finally convinced her mum to tell her dad, through means similar to blackmail, by threatening to tell him herself.

When the truth had come out, there had been a big blow up, which I’d had to sit through in the past week after the trial. Her dad had been staying at a friend’s for a few days, but had come back to get all the details. They’d obviously grown so far apart that their relationship wasn’t salvageable, and Mel knew that.

Whilst her parents were living together now, it was solely out of convenience. They were currently considering a divorce, but there would be a long legal battle ahead of them, including who got custody of Mel. I’d been there, done that, and it wasn’t something I’d recommend.

Mel obviously wanted to go with her father, and for him to get the house. She had always favoured her parents equally, but after the latest revelation, she much less willing to cooperate with her mum. Betrayal was one of the worst feeling, and I knew it. I didn’t blame Mel for hating her mum at this moment in time, because I’d be exactly the same.

“I’m going to miss being here.” Mel admitted, once she was finally down the stairs and able to lean against it in tiredness.

I grinned at her, almost nostalgically. “I’m going to miss you being here.” I reciprocated. Before Mel had stayed, I’d been constantly alone in the house, something that I hated. It meant I had no one to converse with, and I was stuck in watching TV and stuff all the time. Mel being here had been a refreshing change.

I went and held the door open for her, so that she could lug her bags through. Then, I did the same for the boot of her extravagant car. It could easily fit her many items in, whereas I knew the bottom would have probably fallen out of my own.

“Well, I’ll see you at school tomorrow.” She said goodbye, before sliding into her driver’s seat. It was weird how sad I actually was to see Mel go home again, and I selfishly hoped she might get kicked out again. I didn’t like being lonely.

I waved to her as she sped off the drive. The past week had been strangely normal. Considering all the trouble that had happened, I guess I expected things to be slightly irregular, but it was oddly average.

I hadn’t seen Arthur again since, and so I could presume that he was gone. Left. I hoped so anyway. With him out of my life, things had brightened up considerably. There was no more threat looming over us, it was great.

School was like usual, as were Jord and I. Despite the celebratory hug and subtle hand holding during the trial, all was standard again now. We’d stuck to our avoidance tactics and except for the odd smile, we’d barely spoken all week. Kind of depressing, really.

The only thing that wasn’t working like clockwork was my mother. Unlike her original claims, she’d actually been trying to avoid the drugs as much as she could and had been present at home more, so had Harry. It gave me hope that maybe they would be able to give it up. If they tried hard enough, then I’m sure they could do it. They just needed the incentive, because now Arthur’s threat wasn’t looming over us anymore, they had nothing to aspire to.